Dunkelwizen off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
Now let me start off saying i used dry yeast so I know I won't get all those banana and clove flavors but brew taste like soy sauce a little bit. Primary for two weeks secondary for two weeks and bottle now for about two weeks. I am hoping the flavor will subside but I'm not sure what went wrong the
Temp wasn't to high it was about 60-65 most of the time. Some one mentioned autosylis but it wasn't on the patty long enough....help - it was the brewers best dunkelwizen kit

Autolysis is something people fear but rarely actually happens in beer. Mirmite, burnt rubber, and soy sauce are all flavors associated with autolysis, so it may have happened to you.

What happens is the yeast aren't able to build thick, strong cell walls. So when they die, instead of just settling to the bottom of the fermentor, they rupture.

Insufficient oxygen, insufficient nutrients, and temperature extremes can all contribute to it.

I thought I got enough air in it and kept the temps reasonable , and only a month in fermentation got me autosylis that's seems awful fast :(

I'm not sure what caused it . I thought is tasted good when I was bottling the beer & I thought I practiced good sanitation and control of temp during fermentation but it beats me maybe Ina few weeks it will be drinkable

After 4 weeks in bottle it's starting to lose a little of that soy sauce flavor. it's a little high on the carbonation as of now .I want o put it in the fridge to stop more carbonation but will that stop the aging process that might help rid those off flavors ??

Latest posts

Back