Crazy Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopWolf

Reaction score
OK last Saturday night I brewed MoreBeer's extract Blind Pig IPA. 1 1/2lbs steeping grains in 1 1/2 gal water, added that to 5 gallons of heated water and then 1lb DME and 2llbs LME at 60 min. Followed hop schedule and added Wirlfloc and remaining 7lbs LME at 10 min. Then I used imersion chiller to bring down to room temp.

OG of 1.067 and pitched starter which I made night before. Wyeast 1056 and 1200ml water with 120 grams DME and decanted maybe half of it before the pitch. I also used a .5 micron with oxygen tank for about 1 min or so.

Fermentation started almost within minutes and the temp raised itself to 72-73 the next morning Sunday. Seeing the temp I moved it to the floor which brought it down to 65-66 and was going wicked strong in the carboy, so much so that the gallon jug full of Star San has turned biege and now appears to have a bit of yeast cake in it. It's a 6 1/2 carboy and the foam has alrady been down the 1" blow off tube and back.

It Thursday night and ferment temp is 68-70 and it's bubbling every 4 sec and still looks like it's a hurricane in there.

Is this normal? It's my 4th batch and the first two I used a bucket and airlock so I couldn't see, the 3rd was a Belgian Wit in the same set up and is bottled, but it didn't have this much motion in the carboy.

Should I be happy?

Back