How deep to plant crowns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indytruks138

Reaction score
How deep do you plant crowns? I got 3 from great lake hops and they were super healthy and all had lots of shoots coming up from teh mound. I left the top maybe inch of the mound above ground with allt he shoots coming off. The growth has slowed and I am afraid I put them too high. Should I dig them up and replant deeper?

I think you probably intuitively buried them just right, such that they're essentially back at the same grade level as when they were harvested. Now they just need time to get over losing nearly all of their root mass...

Cheers!

I planted mine deep enough to where the shoot base was level with the surrounding ground. It took them about 3 weeks to start showing significant growth but now they're going to town at about 3" per day.

Well I looked again today and one of them does have a bine that is going up the twine now, and they are all still green, I'll take a picture tonight and see what y'all think. Thanks for the advice!

RDWHAHB - sounds like you planted them appropriately, but post pics anyways, we all like Hop Pron.

Here is my Hop Garden. Its the three crowns I am worried might be too far out of the dirt. I can add more dirt if needed, what do y'all think? They are starting to grow well, I'm just nervous. 2 posts for the pictures.
The pics below in order are:

2nd year cascade, planted as a rhizome last year from AHS.

Same 2nd year cascade, about 4 feet tall.

2nd year cascade grown from a start from Arrowhead Hops. This one didn't do well last year, never went vertical, but at the end of the season it started growing some, and is looking to have a good 2nd year.

1st crown from Great Lakes Hops. Goldings, growing well but looks a little stringy and not amazing.

Showing how high the Goldings crown is going.

WP_20130513_001.jpg

WP_20130513_002.jpg

WP_20130513_003.jpg

WP_20130513_004.jpg

WP_20130513_005.jpg

Pics in order:

Columbus crown from GLH. I think this is planted at the right depth.

Same.

Chinook crown from GLH, the new bines are the ones that are wrapping, the initial bines were thin and I cut them back. I am afraid this also is too high as the new healthy bines came from below the dirt.

Same.

WP_20130513_006.jpg

WP_20130513_007.jpg

WP_20130513_008.jpg

WP_20130513_009.jpg

Back