Belgian wit was pitched too hot, off-flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayslay

Reaction score
Hey,

Did a Belgian Wit Kit last Sunday. It included wheat, oats, coriander and bitter orange peel, to add to a base of light malt (was a Cervesa base kit) as reccomended by my LHBS.

Did the steep exactly by the book including thermometer. Cooled my brew pot in a sink of ice and water for a few minutes, but I rushed it.

The directions said to add ice to the primary, but I found this to be an un-sanitary method and tried to cool it in the sink.
So I started adding everything to my primary, strained the add-on steep bag, added the premade wort kit, topped off to 23L , aerated with a brew spoon frantically.

Pitched yeast. Yay, all done. Checked fermometer strip.... 79F!!!!!
So I popped two trays of ice cubes in there. Checked a few hours later before bed and it was down to 72F. Hit the A/C to get it below 70F... and I've managed to keep the first few days around 68-70. I have read that the Wit needs to be slowly warmed up as fermentation continues. Bubbling is evident, with airlock crud filling up in 30 hrs, and switched to a blow-off tube.

Sorry, long winded. Would the high pitch temp really screw up the yeast/yeast-produced flavors?

You'll really have to wait and see. It sounds like you got the temperature down there pretty quickly. At least you know what you did wrong, that way you'll only get better as you continue brewing

It's really surprising how abusive you can be to yeast, and still have a good finished product. I would RDWHAHB. You won't know until after you bottle!

Alright, thank you all very much for your time and input. Fermentation is continuing, albeit slowly, and Its is now being held close to 72F. (The kit instructions call for ramping the temp up to 77F.. I don't know that I want to get my space that warm.

Anyways, Prost!

Latest posts

Back