Natural Watermelon flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleedsblue

Reaction score
So in my fermentor is Williams brewing Watermelon Ale. I am supposed to add the Watermelon flavoring at bottling. After opening it up. I am not so sure about it. Anyone see any problems with adding it before fermentation is over to maybe get it a bit more settled by bottle time?

and on top of that. It smells like pure alchool. No detectable watermelon smell at all. That concerns me.

How big is the batch? You could always find some watermelon extract, or even some watermelon concentrate to add to it..

Lorann watermelon flavor was a nice addition to the watermelon juice in my wheat

It is 5 gallons. I actually bought some Lorann tonight. I am just not confident in all of the bottle they sent with the kit

Can you get fresh watermelon yet where you are? I like to use fresh juice, 4-5 cup per 5 gallon.

In my 5 gallon watermelon wheat is used a little over 6 cups of juice and 2 drams of lorann

Johnny that is a good idea did you do anything with the juice?

Sanitized everything before juicing. Knife, cutting board strainer, masher, bowl outside of melon, etc. After I scooped the melon from the rind I cut it up smaller then mashed it in a bowl with a potato masher. Poured it into a paint strainer and sanitized my hands. Lastly, I squeezed the life out of the paint strainer to get every drop of juice.

Here some pics and directions. You can find some good info about using melons in this recipe/thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/watermelon-wheat-139086/index3.html

I did the same thing as jonnyhammer and it worked great. I used 5 cups in 5 gallons and it is a pronounced watermelon flavor. I find extracts to have a funny aftertaste when used to flavor beers. Try the juice method. I was less careful with my sanitation but did stars an my knife, board, masher and strainer.

Latest posts

Back