Ipa darkening as it ages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
Is this normal? Started out a month ago as a semi-cloudy golden orange color (think two-hearted) but now it's crystal clear but amber colored. Is this normal?

All-grain batch. Dry hopped with 2 oz of whole cascade. Bottled and conditioned for 1 month. Still has great aroma, good carb, just different color.

Is this normal? Started out a month ago as a semi-cloudy golden orange color (think two-hearted) but now it's crystal clear but amber colored. Is this normal?

All-grain batch. Dry hopped with 2 oz of whole cascade. Bottled and conditioned for 1 month. Still has great aroma, good carb, just different color.

If it was cloudy golden orange, when the yeast dropped out (which are white), the beer would be darker.

The only other cause for darkening I can think of is oxidation, which involves browning. But if it's not tasting oxidized (like sherry wine), then it's probably just that the yeast are now out of suspension causing clearer beer.

I'm not getting a sherry taste but I am getting more alcohol than I did a few weeks ago. It's an imperial and is around 9% so I kinda expected the alcohol being noticeable.

It is ruined, and possibly poisonous. You should send it to me immediately, as I have the proper means to dispose of it properly.

Back