Ventilation for my Brew Magic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracehelton

Reaction score
I just put in my order for the Sabco Brew Magic. I am trying to get a head start preparing my Bru-Room. I also just purchased an 8" CAP Valuline Inline Fan. Im hoping it turns out to be good. It seems that the safe bet is the Vortex but I watched a bunch of youtube videos one of which compared the Vortex and Valuline. The Valuline did pretty well. I dont think I will need the full 700+ CFM but I also got a speed controller to be able to find a good sound/suction balance. I went to a local steel shop and bought some supplies to make a custom range hood. I was also going to try to implement some Condensate Hood Gutters around the perimeter. Here is a quick sketch of what I had in mind. I am going to break it up into 2 section with valves to let the vent directly above the boiler go at full blast with the vent over the HLT and MLT turned off when not in use. Let me know if anyone has any advice/comments. Thanks.
PhotoApr05123554PM_zps4503cdf5.jpg

PhotoApr0524748PM_zps010fdb1f.jpg

I used L1"x1"x1/8" angle for the frame and 18 gauge sheet steel for the infill. I wanted to use non galvanized steel because I think it looks a lot cooler. The downside is that if the clear coat doesn't hold up than it will begin rusting.

The location where I wanted to put my brew system was originally used as my TV center in my bar.
I think I will get more enjoyment out of brewing on my new system more than I ever got out of watching TV. I might be able to find a new place to put the TV but for now, its gotta go.

Before I decided on this spot I scaled the layout of the sabco frame from all of there posted dimensions to see if it would fit.

Originally my plan was to duct out of the side of the wall. I wasn't too excited about punching a hole in the exterior of my house so I decided to just route the duct in a fashion so I could take it out the window on brew days.

Now my ducting was complete I had to get my natural gas supply. My hot water heater is on the opposite side of the wall in my garage. I tee'd off of the 1/2" line and ran it through the wall. I installed a fire rated caulking around the pipe penetration just for good measure on each side of the wall.

I did a lot of the work before even getting my Brew Magic System. Once it came in I was anxious because I knew it would be a tight fit. I didn't realize how tight...

I think the burner is too close for comfort to the wall so I installed a heat shield up against the wall closest to the main burner. Its a foil backed heat barrier/sound dampening material that I bought for a car restoration project.

Today was the first day everything has been operational. I had everything assembled yesterday but it was late. I spent awhile just getting familiarized with all the valves and which combos performed what actions. I think this thing is going to be awesome, unfortunately I probably wont be able to get a batch through it until this weekend.

WHOA. That's a hell of first post. I love your setup, now show us your bar and prepare for people asking to come over!

In reference to the title, the generally agreed upon ventilation need is ~ 100 CFM per 10,000 BTU. I don't know the burner size of a Brew Magic or how many burners you use at a time but if you are overshooting the capacity of your ventilation you should at least get a CO monitor. I have a Broan 1,500 CFM exhaust fan for my 3 burner system.

Latest posts

Back