"Re-Kegging" a store bought keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrillSeargent

Reaction score
I know this may be sacreligious on this forum but thought I would ask. I am buying a 15 gal keg of NB Ranger IPA and want to transfer it to my own 5 gal cornies. What's the best method?

Use a sake coupler connected to a beer side disconnect for the corny. This way the beer goes gently down the dip tube. Make sure the keg is cold and push at 5-6 psi. Just keep purging the air out of the corny so it keeps flowing. When it's full switch to the next keg.

Not sacrilegious to me unless you do either:

1) Do it with an american lite lager.
OR
2) Try to pass it off to your friends as your own.

And frankly I'd be more upset with someone who did #2 than #1...

Also, to keep down waste and hassle, if you can daisy chain the receiving kegs together gas to liquid ports, flush all kegs with CO2, chill receiving kegs, fill slowly from sankey to beer out on first keg and slowly releive pressure from the last keg when you are filling.

Use a sake coupler connected to a beer side disconnect for the corny. This way the beer goes gently down the dip tube. Make sure the keg is cold and push at 5-6 psi. Just keep purging the air out of the corny so it keeps flowing. When it's full switch to the next keg.

As described by this brewer....

I have blended kegs together two Cornies in to a third and topped off a Corny from another.

I took a peice of tubing and put a "OUT" connectpor on both.

Connected the two kegs together

Open the pressure release valve on one and put gass on the other and "POOF":::: a beer transfer.

WHY?

Well the first time is because aI had a Keg of tasteless beer and a keg of beer with to much Black Patient Malt... Mixing them made a drinkable beer.

Another time I just a had a few gallons in a multiple kegs and I was going to a party... I did not want to take a bunch of "partials" so I blended the beer.

DPB

Was that a "sake" or "sanke" connector? Anyone have a picture? Thanks for the responses on this.

Sanke connectors are the commercial style keg tap. The types of kegs we brewers usually use are Ball Lock or Pin Lock Cornelius (Corny) style soda kegs.

images

Back