Do I need rice hulls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am brewing what I am calling a wheat pale ale this weekend. One third of the grist will be wheat (the rest malt). I planned to get rice hulls, but completely spaced at the LHBS yesterday (I was too busy drooling over my 2 50 lb bags of grain and all the other specialty grain I was buying). I don't brew with wheat often, so I can't remember the threshold where you need rice hulls. I am assuming that 33% of the grist is enough that It would be stupid to risk brewing without them?

Everybody has a different system. My MLT may never need hulls, while yours might need some at the first sniff of wheat. So, up to you really. For me, I'd get the hulls.

Get the rice hulls. That is enough wheat that it could easily cause problems with them.

I had a problem once with a brew that only had 1.5 lbs of wheat. Now I make sure to use enough rice hulls on any brew that uses wheat or rye.

Back