What did you pay to have your panel machined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mb2658

Reaction score
I am looking to have the enclosure for my electric brewery water jetted or laser cut. For those of you who have paid to have it done, what did it cost you? I have been quoted $90-100 to laser cut the door based upon my Autocad drawing.
Obviously, this applies to people who had their panels cut via laser, water jet or some other professional method utilized by a machine shop.

I was quoted around $100 to get it waterjet cut. I'm too cheap so I just measured very carefully and used a hole saw for the lights and switches and drilled holes in the corners of the square holes for the pid, then cut in between with a dremel. Took a few hours but saved $100

You probably won't get it much cheaper than that. If I had to do it over, I would likely go the water jet route.

I picked up my laser cut panel door from the machine shop. It was $95 plus tax. I am very happy with the results.

image-65374374.jpg

Nothing. I'm using a Bridgeport CNC at my shop and doing it myself. It's just a few pockets and holes.

But the prices you mentioned is just about right if you doing waterjet or laser cutting, and can give them a drawing. They still have to mount the piece, locate a corner and all of that work.

$30 for a Klein Tools 1/2" conduit punch for all of the 7/8" (22mm) holes
$3 for a metal saber saw blade to cut the square holes
$0 for a drill, metal drill bit, saber saw and metal file I already had

Water jetting? Seriously? We're not building a space shuttle, here.

$30 for a Klein Tools 1/2" conduit punch for all of the 7/8" (22mm) holes
$3 for a metal saber saw blade to cut the square holes
$0 for a drill, metal drill bit, saber saw and metal file I already had

Water jetting? Seriously? We're not building a space shuttle, here.

LOL! I know, right?

Seriously, for the cost of a step bit and a Dremel tool, you get the panel cut AND have some tools you can keep and use on other DIY stuff!

I'm only doing it at work because I already own those other things and this way I get my panel cut and get more practice programming and using a bridgeport.

Now if I can only make a final decision on the layout...

I could have done it cheaper myself? Really?! As if I wasn't already aware of that. I love how people feel the need to point out when they disagree with how other people spend their money as if they are far superior because they saved a buck. If you have the skills and talents to do it, knock yourself out. You can ferment in a 5 gallon bucket or a $1500 conical fermenter. Who cares? It's a hobby. Some of us care more about the finished product and not always doing things the cheapest possible way. The post was inquiring about what is a reasonable price to have the work done, not asking how much money I could save by doing it myself.

I was making commentary on the fact that most Americans today couldn't sweat a copper pipe if their lives depended on it. "I wouldn't try something like that because I'd be afraid I'd screw it up." I hear that excuse all the freaking time. That's a copout. The real reason is that we're getting lazy. Or maybe it's just that more people think that work like that is beneath them, like that would be the work of some lesser-educated person.

Let's hear some more excuses, like how you live in an apartment so you'll never need those tools anyway. That's another good one.

I would suggest if your looking to save a few bucks you look for a technical school in your area. Many have machine trades programs with the equipment needed to make your desired mods. Most will not have laser due to cost of the equipment and consumables, I have found a number to have water jet or high definition plasma tables. But $100 sounds like a good deal all thing considered.

LandoLincoln said:
I was making commentary on the fact that most Americans today couldn't sweat a copper pipe if their lives depended on it. "I wouldn't try something like that because I'd be afraid I'd screw it up." I hear that excuse all the freaking time. That's a copout. The real reason is that we're getting lazy. Or maybe it's just that more people think that work like that is beneath them, like that would be the work of some lesser-educated person.

Let's hear some more excuses, like how you live in an apartment so you'll never need those tools anyway. That's another good one.

Why do you care? I could have done it myself and chose not to. Did I ever say anything to the effect that I was worried I would screw it up or that somehow cutting my own panel is beneath me? Really? Even if I said that, so what? Does that make me a bad person? Am I too stupid or too lazy?

There are literally hundreds of build threads on here describing how to cut panels yourself. Kal has an entire website dedicated to it. Did you give him grief because he went with Blichmann kettles and not some off the shelf restaurant stock pot? They're cheaper you know.

If you want to discuss how people today aren't like Tim the Toolman Taylor and can't do anything for themselves, start your own thread. If you are going to thread jack and make snarky comments at least own them and don't try to change the conversation into some lame narrative on the laziness of society today when called out.

OP, your original post hinted that the cost of having a panel cut was a concern to you, and we only mentioned cutting it by hand as a less expensive alternative to having it cut with an expensive process like waterjet or laser. Forgive us for not knowing that you are well off and for offering other ways that we think may save you some money and get the same results.

Also, you are not the only one reading these responses. There may be others out there who ar einterested in seeing how much it might cost to have it cut, but might want to also know that it's entirely possible to DIY it and save money in the process. It's a discussion forum, with lots of people.

Have you considered getting a few quotes from different places? That may give you a more accurate average cost than asking all of us who are spread out around the country and world.

Homercidal said:
OP, your original post hinted that the cost of having a panel cut was a concern to you, and we only mentioned cutting it by hand as a less expensive alternative to having it cut with an expensive process like waterjet or laser. Forgive us for not knowing that you are well off and for offering other ways that we think may save you some money and get the same results.

Also, you are not the only one reading these responses. There may be others out there who ar einterested in seeing how much it might cost to have it cut, but might want to also know that it's entirely possible to DIY it and save money in the process. It's a discussion forum, with lots of people.

Have you considered getting a few quotes from different places? That may give you a more accurate average cost than asking all of us who are spread out around the country and world.

Please read the entire thread. I already had the work done and am in the process of assembling my panel. I did call around to a few places and went with the place that I was most comfortable with and had a reasonable price. The point of this thread was to make sure that I was in the ballpark with what others were paying for similar work.

I am looking to have the enclosure for my electric brewery water jetted or laser cut. For those of you who have paid to have it done, what did it cost you? I have been quoted $90-100 to laser cut the door based upon my Autocad drawing.
Obviously, this applies to people who had their panels cut via laser, water jet or some other professional method utilized by a machine shop.

I see where you are "...looking to have the enclosure for my electric brewery water jetted or laser cut." And had been quoted $90-100 to laser cut.

I don't see where you said you already had the work done and were second guessing the cost. Right after that some people piped up with their experiences and one or two people also noted that it's possible to do it DIY and save money.

I'm sorry you think that someone offering a cost effective alternative somehow implies you are cheap or broke. I promise in the future I will try to refrain from offering any more suggestions to you.

Good day, sir.

I'm still trying to decide what all I want in mine. I would kind of like some of the extra stuff, but I'm also wanting to integrate switches and lights together to minimize the look. Chances are I'll get it all done and forget to include a readout or button. Auberins has some interesting maintained switches with a lighted ring around them that would let me have an ON/OFF switch with indicator in one package. I'm just having a PWM knob for boil kettle and a single PID for the HLT. Gotta save room for the MP3 player to rest on the panel front. I am planning on running that into a small computer in the brew stand for tunes.

Homercidal said:
I see where you are "...looking to have the enclosure for my electric brewery water jetted or laser cut." And had been quoted $90-100 to laser cut.

I don't see where you said you already had the work done and were second guessing the cost. Right after that some people piped up with their experiences and one or two people also noted that it's possible to do it DIY and save money.

I'm sorry you think that someone offering a cost effective alternative somehow implies you are cheap or broke. I promise in the future I will try to refrain from offering any more suggestions to you.

Good day, sir.

It was post #4 along with a pic of the finished door. Anyway, I am happy with the results. I plan on getting a etched acrylic cover with all of the labels on it from Ponoko.com if the cost is reasonable. Having it all cut from the same file makes that a lot easier.

It was post #4 along with a pic of the finished door. Anyway, I am happy with the results. I plan on getting a etched acrylic cover with all of the labels on it from Ponoko.com if the cost is reasonable. Having it all cut from the same file makes that a lot easier.

Well, I apologize. I simply did not see that post as being from you. I thought someone else had posted to show you their panel. Honestly, I have no idea how I did not notice it was your post.

Do you mount your panel on the wall, or on the brew stand? Mine stand is supposed to be mounted on casters so I can wheel it outside the garage in nice weather, so I will have a riser post to mount it to, attached to the stand.

Back on topic, $100 for laser or water cutting that panel sounds like a very reasonable price. Advantage of having it done is, it will be cut very precisely and cleanly and they might recompense for any mistakes. It will be only a fraction of the system price, and it will once-and-done. I'd encourage you to go for it, maybe save for a month if you need to. You could add a few extra holes for expansion and hide them with plugs or meaningless blinky lights, mad-scientist style.

In comparison, I had some machining work done on a tractor part and it was $55 minimum for setup and the first half hour. They underestimated the time required and they absorbed the extra cost. I offered to split the difference, they said no, they would eat it. Good place.

I love how people feel the need to point out when they disagree with how other people spend their money as if they are far superior because they saved a buck. ...
Yeah, I read many posts like that. They do sting. I try to fuggedaboutit and brew on. :mug:

Homercidal said:
Well, I apologize. I simply did not see that post as being from you. I thought someone else had posted to show you their panel. Honestly, I have no idea how I did not notice it was your post.

Do you mount your panel on the wall, or on the brew stand? Mine stand is supposed to be mounted on casters so I can wheel it outside the garage in nice weather, so I will have a riser post to mount it to, attached to the stand.

No worries. It's all good.

I haven't figured out my stand situation exactly. I have a wooden bench that I built for another project that I am going to use for the time being. I am planning on mounting the panel on the wall of my garage. I will most likely be moving relatively soon so whatever solution I go with will be temporary until I get into a new house. I am going with a Brewtroller based eHERMs. Eventually, I would like to build a stand that with a tippy dumpy configuration for the mash tun so that I can clean in place. I have been designing and planning my build for almost a year now. The stand is one of the areas that I haven't finalized yet. I may build it out of wood or strut. I have a little bit of Tig and Mig welding experience but dont have access to the equipment. I have thought about taking a welding class at the local trade school so I can use their equipment. A lot of it depends on if/when I move.

If you have the experience, you might consider renting a welder for a weekend. A class is also a great idea, but for the price you could almost buy a welder and practice at home and own a welder. I love my welder. I use it for all kinds of things not even related to the old Mustang I bought it for.

Homercidal said:
If you have the experience, you might consider renting a welder for a weekend. A class is also a great idea, but for the price you could almost buy a welder and practice at home and own a welder. I love my welder. I use it for all kinds of things not even related to the old Mustang I bought it for.

That's a good point. I'll have to look into it. What kind of welder did you go with? I know that Harbor Freight has some cheap 110v Mig welders.

Back