Raising ABV in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpood

Reaction score
I have a Northern Brewer Petite Saison that has been in secondary for almost a week. OG was 1.041; FG when I moved it to secondary was 1.002. It may have changed over the last few days, but I was a bit underwhelmed when I racked it and tasted a sample. Could I raise the ABV and give it a more interesting flavor at this point by adding LME or candi sugar? Anything else I could add to secondary, like some orange rind, perhaps boiled to prevent infection? Or should I just let it rest, carbonate and bottle condition, and hope this will be a sleeper?

A note on my choice of moving it to secondary in case you're wondering: This was solely to free up my brewing bucket for a new brew.

Thanks!

Ingredients:
SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 0.5 lbs Belgian Caravienne
FERMENTABLES
- 3.15 lbs Pilsen malt syrup
- 1 lb Pilsen dry malt extract
- 1 lb Wheat dry malt extract
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 1 oz UK Kent Goldings (60 min)
- 0.25 oz Styrian Goldings (10 min)
- 0.25 oz Saaz (10 min)
- 0.75 oz Styrian Goldings (2 min)
- 0.75 oz Saaz (2 min)
YEAST
- Wyeast 3711 French Saison.

I'm personally a fan of not messing with things, but obviously in the end it is your call as the brewer.

One thing to keep in mind, your beer will taste completely different when it is carbed and cold. A flat, warm sample of any beer isn't going to taste great.

Agree with previous poster. Just let it be and bottle. Then once it's carbed you can decide for your next batch how to improve it.

Sometimes I just need to hear the voice(s) of reason. Thanks! I will be patient and start on that next batch. I've heard good things about this brew, so I will keep my fingers crossed that it surprises me.

Agree with previous poster. Just let it be and bottle. Then once it's carbed you can decide for your next batch how to improve it.

This ^^^^^.

After bottle conditioning 3-4 weeks at 70-75*F, it should have a much improved character vs. now.

Tasting flat beer in the fermenter - especially if you are a new brewer - is an almost guaranteed way to be disappointed.

It is amazing what carbonation and a little age will do for beer.

If your beer tastes watery, bland, bitter, funky, fruity, boring... you are describing flat, green beer that may well be quite tasty once it is bottled, carbed, and aged.

Leave it alone. Trying to disanose and fix a problem right now is likely to cause more problems.

Now when you taste your warm flat beer and it's friggon good stuff, watch out. 3 weeks or if it's a beer that needs to age for months, patiance will get the best of ya....:D

My recent dubbel I could drink straight from the primary and not even carb it up it was that good...:tank:

Back