Rinsing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amaier48

Reaction score
My kit came with chlore and sulphite, I guess to clean the bottle and santaize with, I am used to using star San.... Is there a difference??? If so, what ratios do I use with the chlore and sulphite?

Thanks

You should not use chlorine based cleaners on wine making stuff. Use the Star San.

The sulphite is probably for anti-oxidant for long-term storage of your wine.

You should not use chlorine based cleaners on wine making stuff. Use the Star San.

The sulphite is probably for anti-oxidant for long-term storage of your wine.

Chlorine based cleaners are perfectly fine, just rinse well. Starsan is fine for sanitizing but not a great cleaner.

I use a commercial chlorine sanitizer that I use in my restaurant an have had no issues. I just immerse for the minimum time allowed and air dry or use immediately. No chlorine smell or after taste noticeable.

Everything I have ever read, except this post, suggests otherwise.

You have been reading inaccurate information.

Many cleaners used in the commercial industry use chlorine.

Maybe you are confusing it with people saying to not use bleach for sanitization.

But in winemaking chlorine containing products are typically frowned upon due to the connection to TCA. I have met commercial vintners that will not use chlorine based products in the winery, not even allowed in the building, anywhere.

We have read of others who say 'it is ok, just rinse well'. A decision each individual makes, but be prepared for that one moment where you did not rinse enough and TCA gets you.

amaier48...what kit came with 'chlore', and it actually calls it chlore?

But in winemaking chlorine containing products are typically frowned upon due to the connection to TCA. I have met commercial vintners that will not use chlorine based products in the winery, not even allowed in the building, anywhere.

We have read of others who say 'it is ok, just rinse well'. A decision each individual makes, but be prepared for that one moment where you did not rinse enough and TCA gets you.

amaier48...what kit came with 'chlore', and it actually calls it chlore?

It's been hypothesized that chlorine is a precursor which causes the fungus that causes taint. This abolished its use in the cork sanitization industry as there are multiple strains of fungus present on corks.

Although there is a large shift toward peroxide based cleaners chlorine cleaners are still widely used and sold at every brewery distributor I've ever been to. I know for a fact a local wine making company still uses it.

Back