Is it safe to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjavz

Reaction score
A few days ago I found rat droppings next to my grains, they were in a sealed bag but rat chewed up through the corner of the bag to get to the grains? Rat never went in but I'm wondering if its safe to use those grains for brewing or if they need to be trashed...

I was toss them, despite boiling, rats are dirty. And why take any risk for so much work

Should be OK, the boil will take care of any nasties. Rodents and bugs are present in the fields where grain is grown and likely present in bulk storage and processing facilities. Just because we get our grain in sealed plastic bags does not mean it was ever close to sterile to begin with. I say brew away and invest in a metal container to keep the furry buggers out of the grain.

Boil the ever living piss out of it. Ever seen "BEER WARS"? in it. Not sure who. Doesn't say in film. But, they took water out of a duck pond that had no filtration. But high in. well, piss, crap, bugs & other nasties. Cholera, E-coli. They boiled the hell out of it. Served it. All was well. Plus,Me sister in law has to take a food server class every year, for the last 15 yeras or so for her business. I think by the Gov. They tell her 165° kills everything. Disclaimer. 25518. Is not a licensed anything. Do what you will with yer grains. They be your grains. And get a. Cat.

25518 said:
Boil the ever living piss out of it. Ever seen "BEER WARS"? in it. Not sure who. Doesn't say in film. But, they took water out of a duck pond that had no filtration. But high in. well, piss, crap, bugs & other nasties. Cholera, E-coli. They boiled the hell out of it. Served it. All was well. Plus,Me sister in law has to take a food server class every year, for the last 15 yeras or so for her business. I think by the Gov. They tell her 165° kills everything. Disclaimer. 25518. Is not a licensed anything. Do what you will with yer grains. They be your grains.

A period doesn't need to be placed after every three words. :)

the black plague that wiped out 2/3 of the european population was passed by rats. but no problem... really. the boil will kill even plague germs :D

Thanks everybody, I got myself some containers to keep my grains safe from pests in the future...

lumpher said:
the black plague that wiped out 2/3 of the european population was passed by rats. but no problem... really. the boil will kill even plague germs :D

Actually fleas, the rats carried the fleas.

hanta virus is killed only with UV light. rat droppings and urine are the transmitting matter for hanta virus.

Personally even despite that, I think its revolting. unless your hard up, toss that sh*t

hanta virus is killed only with UV light. rat droppings and urine are the transmitting matter for hanta virus.

Personally even despite that, I think its revolting. unless your hard up, toss that sh*t

I work in animal labs and rats are no big deal (to me). Ferrets on the other hand...how people keep those disgusting creatures as pets is beyond me.

Oh suck it up people. We're brewers, use the darn grain. You're making us look like pansy distillers or something.

This is BS! You CAN chemically and thermally inactivate hantaviruses. If anyone is really concerned about pathogens in their brews take a look at CDC's BMBL section dealing with disinfection and sterilization:
http://www.cdc.gov/biosafety/publications/bmbl5/BMBL5_appendixB.pdf

Happy reading! :mug:

^I stand corrected.

Dont get me wrong, I can deal with rats. My fiance had 2 fat rats as pets and I used to inject them and god knows what else during undergrad research.

But if you want to eat and drink shi*t, go right ahead!

so maybe not ONLY by UV light, but...

Thanks for making me look like an asshat

hanta.jpg

My suggestion is to take your grain to a Nuclear Power Plant, have them place your grain on top of the reactor head for 2 days, then it will be safe to brew with. lmao sorry I just couldn't resist.

Cheers :)

The whole point of the boil is to kill every living organism in the brew. The duck pond beer mentioned earliers was an experiment at University of California, Berkley (IIRC - I was drinking during the "How Beer Saved the World" movie, where they showed and discussed the experiment) - that had all sorts of evil nasties pre-boil but post boil was clean and healthy. It was to prove the old adage about beer in Europe because the water would kill you (all those nasties). Rodents have always gotten into grains and malts, it is what they eat. Don't be fastidious, use the grain! Or send it to me and I'll brew with it...

Boil the ever living piss out of it. Ever seen "BEER WARS"? in it. Not sure who. Doesn't say in film. But, they took water out of a duck pond that had no filtration. But high in. well, piss, crap, bugs & other nasties. Cholera, E-coli. They boiled the hell out of it. Served it. All was well. Plus,Me sister in law has to take a food server class every year, for the last 15 yeras or so for her business. I think by the Gov. They tell her 165° kills everything. Disclaimer. 25518. Is not a licensed anything. Do what you will with yer grains. They be your grains. And get a. Cat.

It was from "how beer saved the world" I love that documentary haha.

Agree with what people are saying though. You boil it, it kills the nasty stuff. Brew on!

DromJohn said:
Rats in grain. Not a problem. Boil that ****. On other hand. Trouble if tribbles.

I had some Mogwai near my grain last weekend, and I forgot to turn the clock back in my grain room. Thought it was after midnight - rat poop is one thing ... but gremlin slime? Yuck. Losing a sack of MO like that would have been a mini-crisis.

http://gremlins.wikia.com/wiki/Mogwai

And +1 on the its fine thing. If a sour mash can make a decent beer, then anything can.

You can kill most microbes by boiling, yes. My concern would be endo/exotoxins that are heat tolerant. To each his own. Bugs...maybe. Mammals...not me.

So are you gonna tell people where it came from, or just leave it to your lawyer like the acceptable level of spiders in peanut butter?

Maybe tell them after, like with the duck pond beer. You can tell them you are recreating beer made at the dawn of civilization, must've had some rat poop in there. Plus they just look like roasted grains:D

You can kill most microbes by boiling, yes. My concern would be endo/exotoxins that are heat tolerant. To each his own. Bugs...maybe. Mammals...not me.

Endotoxin is everywhere. It is on you now, as we speak, and all over everyone's grain. Exotoxins are heat-labile.

I apologize I'm. Kind of thinking. As I'm typing. Doing other things. Badly as well. I have a.short window of. Free time to. Enjoy before I. Go to bed. And have to. Get up early. To do it. All over again.

lol, I just realized all the pauses make me sound like William Shatner reading this.

Endotoxin is everywhere. It is on you now, as we speak, and all over everyone's grain. Exotoxins are heat-labile.

You're right. But in a concentration to cause problems? Likely not, depends on your hygiene I guess. My concern would be in toxin causing organisms in the bio-load the feces contains. My two cents-not worth it.

Moths/weevils ok. Poop no is ok.
(although, grain silos are great locations to raise a family if you're a critter and I'm sure there is excrement in each of my sacks of grain.)

Lead poisoning usually solves a beastie problem nicely. Now if you only had one your golden, but don't let yer guard down because it is usually mr and mrs mouse and there happy lil family. I got the 13 gallon screw top fermentor off of Ebay to store my grain. Lil bastid wont chew through that....An my grain stays fresher longer....I'm down with that.

Wheelchair Bob

Back