Digital Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdunn1221

Reaction score
Just getting into brewing. I have an empty freezer in my garage that was here when I moved in. Thinking about buying dig temp controller from northern brewer (A419). Is it as easy as plugging the fridge into the controller and setting the temp??? If so this would be great for me. I brewed a Scottish ale kit a few weeks back not knowing it recommends aging in secondary at 48 degrees. Right now it's at 65 and I want to make sure the beer comes out right.

image-3304786238.jpg

Attachments

• image-3261119641.jpg
    image-3261119641.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 200
Pretty much that simple. Are the shelves removable? Same thing I do but in a large chest freezer. If your any good with wiring you can get a stc 1000 of ebay for $19.99 free shipping. lots of post on here how to wire it up. make sure it 110 v and not 220 v unless that what you want.

It is easy as that. Some controllers you have to wire to a receptical to plug the fridge / freezer into. It kind of freaked me out a little, but was easy with the instructions and how to threads here.
TempController.jpg
There are single and double relay temp controllers. The single ones allow only one thing (fridge) to be plugged in. The double's allow the fridge / freezer to be plugged in as well as a small heat source (hair dryer, light bulb, small heater to be placed inside the fridge / freezer) to be plugged in as well. Keeping the temps even more exact. Looks like a nice fridge with lots of room. Congrats on the score!

It's just that simple and your product will be exponentially better!!!!!

I have two A419 digital controllers and they work great; I highly recommend them. There are five setup options for the controller, but, the temperature set point (SP) is the first menu option and you could get by with only setting that option. I recommend you review the other setup options as I elected to change a couple of them based on my preferences.

Thanks for responses. Not sure I want to try and build my own controller at this point. I have a newborn son, not a lot of time and I'm not too great with electrical. The shelves do come out and should easily fit a carboy. The scotch wee heavy ale I have has been in secondary at 65 for a few weeks now, will cooling it and aging at the right temperature still benefit the beer? Or has it already picked up certain flavored that will not go away? The kit recommended aging in bottle for an additional 3-6 months as well.

Thanks for responses. Not sure I want to try and build my own controller at this point. I have a newborn son, not a lot of time and I'm not too great with electrical. The shelves do come out and should easily fit a carboy. The scotch wee heavy ale I have has been in secondary at 65 for a few weeks now, will cooling it and aging at the right temperature still benefit the beer? Or has it already picked up certain flavored that will not go away? The kit recommended aging in bottle for an additional 3-6 months as well.

If you want something ready to go right out of the box, the Johnson controllers are a good option. Just plug it in, set your temp, and set your probe. Not quite as versatile as the STCs, but good for those who find working with electronics intimidating (aka me) or are too lazy to build a controller (me again).

I assembled my STC in about 30 minutes and I am not a wiring genious. works great on my keezer. Got a Hefe ageing and conditioning at 18 C right now. When it is done ageing, I will turn it down to 5 C and cool the bottles for serving. I love it, and it was super cheap and easy to assemble. Plenty of help available from the net if you run into an issue. Worth the time and money no doubt.

Wheelchair Bob

So a digital temp control is? And I have 3 fridges sitting around that I can......?

25518 said:
So a digital temp control is? And I have 3 fridges sitting around that I can......?

A way to precisely maintain the temp
In your freezer/fridge. You can ferment/age/lager your beers at the right temperature even in the summer.

Back