Happy Frog Soil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
Has anyone used Happy Frog Organic Potting Soil? All of the pot heads around here say it is the best and since pot and hops are related, I was thinking of using it.

Thoughts?

Never heard of it...don't waste your money.

I'm assuming its more than $2 per 10 lb bag. Within a year, the crown of your hops will have outgrown it. Maybe if you are putting it in a container to grow, it would make sense.

GVH_Dan said:
Never heard of it...don't waste your money.

I'm assuming its more than $2 per 10 lb bag. Within a year, the crown of your hops will have outgrown it. Maybe if you are putting it in a container to grow, it would make sense.

I am putting them in 20 inch large black containers for the first year. Would I be able to put more than one rhizome in a pot of the same variety?

I am putting them in 20 inch large black containers for the first year. Would I be able to put more than one rhizome in a pot of the same variety?

Are they 20 inches deep or is the Circumference 20 inches. If they are only 20 inches wide you don't want more than one in each. At 20 inches they will outgrow that container this year.

This pdf gives you the minimum space you need between plants etc.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/pdf-printouts/Growing_Hop_Rhizomes.pdf

Hope I could help.

If you put more than one rhizome of the same variety in a pot, its the same as putting in a single rhizome. They will grow into 1 giant co-mingled crown that you will never separate. The only advantage is if 1 of them was a dud.

That Happy Frog stuff is good soil but very expensive like $15 for 1.5 cubic feet. It will definitely work well for your hops but you could likely make your own growing medium for far less cash...

Yea that stuff is really pricey.

What else could I use with it? Maybe 1 part Happy Frog to 2 or 3 parts something else?

If I buy more than one more bag of Happy Frog I think my wife with flip at $22 per 2 cubit foot bag.

Back