Contemplating a New Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a two-roller JSP Maltmill that I like and that has served me very well. When I first started brewing AG (5g batches) I used the handle that came with it, but now typically do 10 to 15g per brewday and run my mill with a corded 1/2" Milwaukee drill.

I have had my eye on a three-roller Monster Mill for some time. A brewing friend brought his over to demo a few weeks ago and I was very impressed. Just seems to be built to stand up. As I said before, I love the JSP but almost feel like I am abusing it when I run 50# of grain through at fairly high speed. I also like the fact that I can get an extra large hopper on the MM. I guess I could build something for the Maltmill but the three pounds at a time is kinda frustrating.

I think I would pretty easily be able to sell my used mill to someone in my homebrewing club for $100.

Well. I will possibly be the first to say... If you have want, and can afford it go for it. Only you and those affected by your spending can dictate whether or not it is a good idea. I love my MM, though I have no experience with the Maltmill. I am glad to hear you upgraded from hand crank to drill power with the step up in grain bills though. I would imagine milling that much grain by hand crank would be a huge PITA.

I don't see the need for a 3 roller mill - loving my MM 2 2.0 (though see my post regarding the thumbscrews and making adjustments). The large rollers make a big difference in how much grain gets pulled through - love it! I run my drill on low speed and can crank through 25 lbs of grain in less than 5 minutes.

Back