Dry hopping amounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stmou984

Reaction score
I know that dry hopping amounts depend on what aroma/flavor you are looking for but my question is how much and for how long?

I've dr hopped two beers now. The first was a session pale ale with 1 ounce of cascade for 10 days the other was an all chinook ipa dry hopped with 1 oz chinook for 7 days in primary and then 7 days in secondary. Neither really had provided the smell I wanted. Both were very weak/soft in aroma. I wanted the all chinook ipa to be very pungent and its so so.

So is it the amount? Is it the length of time? Is it both? Should I try a hop stand? Let the debate begin!!!

MORE HOPS!

I like at least 2oz dry hops for pale ales, but usually go 2-4. And 4-6+ oz for IPAs. 2-3 days is sufficient, but more time doesn't hurt.

A hopstand is also a good idea, really helps with that resiny mouthfeel.

I'm surprised about the Chinook, out of the package it has such an aromatic punch I would have figured it would have some power as a dry hop, though I've never used it for even mid additions, never mind dry hop. C'est la vie, that's why I grow Chinook, Cascade and Centennial.

I recently tweaked a house favorite by doubling the Amarillo dry hops. It has been well received. 7 days at cellar temp (~58°F), crashed bright, kegged, then carbed and cold conditioned over two weeks before first draw. If you dry hop at warmer temperatures, cut back on the duration. eg: I suggest five days at 70°F.

I dry hop nearly everything. It's like the frosting on the cake :D

Cheers!

lebucheron said:
I did a bit of an experiment with dryhopping bmc beer ala http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/03/dry-hopped-bud-light.html.
I found that Columbus had the most bitter tasting and powerful potential when added as a dryhop. Powerful stuff. As far as how much, I tend to look at the varying ipa recipes on this site and gauge how much is enough.

That's an awesome idea. I will definitely try that soon. Thanks.

day_trippr said:
I'm surprised about the Chinook, out of the package it has such an aromatic punch I would have figured it would have some power as a dry hop, though I've never used it for even mid additions, never mind dry hop. C'est la vie, that's why I grow Chinook, Cascade and Centennial.

I recently tweaked a house favorite by doubling the Amarillo dry hops. It has been well received. 7 days at cellar temp (~58°F), crashed bright, kegged, then carbed and cold conditioned over two weeks before first draw. If you dry hop at warmer temperatures, cut back on the duration. eg: I suggest five days at 70°F.

I dry hop nearly everything. It's like the frosting on the cake :D

Cheers!

On day two of force carbonation the chinook is more prevalent. I always try beer through out the process. I think in two weeks it will be much crisper in mouth feel and smell more chinook-i-like.

Temp for both additions of dry hopping was around 64. I can't get a good 70 in my basement.

Also make sure the beer is at Fg & settled out clear or slightly misty. The hop oils from dry hopping can coat yeast cells & go to the bottom,resulting in less aroma. My IPA's generally use 3 flavor hops of 1.2 to 1.5oz each. Then .5 to .8oz remaining of each flavor hop for the 7 day dry hop. I can smell it as soon as I pop the cap some 3-4 weeks later in the bottle with 1 week fridge time. I also use o2 barrier caps. Seems to extend hoppiness a week or two anyway.

Back