To bottle or not to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinna89

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm having an issue knowing whether I'm alright to bottle my brew. I'm brewing a Mangrove Jack's Mexican Cerveza kit. I've been taking regular hydrometer readings and it is yet to steady, even though it's been fermenting for 18 days. Should I bottle it or keep fermenting until it settles further?

SG readings below:
Day 0 - 1.042
Day 5 - 1.025
Day 8 - 1.022
Day 11 - 1.020
Day 14 - 1.018
Day 18 (today) - 1.016

Wait at least until you have the same reading a few days apart. Longer if you want to give it more time to clear

First off I would hide the fermenter after you pitch the yeast for at least a couple of weeks. Everytime you open it up you are inviting a infection. After 2 or three weeks take a gravity and then wait a couple of days and take another. If they are the same then you can bottle or let it clear up some more.

A pipe line is a thing of wonder. Once you get a steady stream of beer going you will start setting and forgetting and leaving the beer alone for longer periods letting the yeast do its thing in its time. You can bottle right after you hit final gravity but the beer will clear more if you let it.

Yup. You def do not need to check it so often. I started waiting 3 weeks some time ago now to let the average gravity batch finish fermenting,or nearly so & settle out clear or slightly misty before testing for FG. When the numbers are the same 2 days apart,you're ready to package. That's if it's clear or slightly misty. That way,you get less trub in the bottom of the bottles come fridge time. Not to mention,having more beer to bottle by not testing all the time. Bit it's cool. It's a process to be learned.

Thanks guys, all the info i was finding was telling me to bottle after a few days, good to get some positive feedback that I should just leave it

Back