Very Frothy Head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
I recently opened my first successful batch of home brew (the first two I totally screwed up by putting 5-10x too much priming sugar and had to dump them).

The beer's not bad, but I find the head on it is very large and frothy - remarkably different from a commercial force-carbed beer. If I recall correctly I added 5.5 ounces of table sugar to a 6 gallon batch and let it bottle condition at 70 degrees for 3 weeks.

Did I simply overdo the carbonation? The carbonation in the beer itself seems just about right, but the large frothy head is less than ideal. It doesn't seem to matter how carefully I pour it - the head will magically appear.

I couldn't quote an exact temp, but it's quite cold -- colder than the style calls for (IPA) and colder than my friends prefer (they've all told me to let their next one warm on the counter a bit before serving).

I don't frost my glasses before serving, but my dishwasher does use jet-dry.

Humbly though, I just opened another one after starting this thread, and it's the first one that has perfect head, IMHO (about 1/8th inch?). Perhaps I've jumped the gun on asking this question... but at least 16-20 pints have thus far had the large notable head. And it's 'frothiness' is quite distinct. It's so light and looks almost identical to shaving cream. I blew into one in the backyard over the weekend as it seems incredibly light and that would clear a lot of it out of the glass - I ended up with half of it all over my face.

Head texture and retention tend to me affected more by what you used in the grainbill. You will find that in recipe creation some ingredients are added solely for mouthfeel and others for the head of the beer rather than strictly for flavor or color.

Additionally glass cleanliness can affect the head on a pour. Not to mention the amount of sediment in suspension as if you kick up the dregs it will provide more nuculeation sites which will allow more CO2 to come out of solution.

Head is formed by dissolved protiens in the beer,but is driven by carbonation after it forms. Even though you may fridge it for a week or two,you'll get that quality of head. Thick & rocky/pillowy. That's what head looks like on good beer. Like in Germany,for instance. I understand that it's not a good pour without 1/4 to 1/3 head. In other words,a couple fingers of head is proper. You get that with quality ingredients & a good process.
But now to look at the flip side,A lot of foam in the glass can mean the beer needs more fridge time to get more co2 into solution. A lot of gas in the head space seems to act like nucleation points that drive all that foam.
Even after a week in the fridge,My Hopped & Confused hybrid lager had 1 gusher. The rest,for the most part,had to be poured slowly after the first 2" or so to keep the head at the right size.
I think what grains are used in the partial mash add plenty of heading ability without the 1/2lb carapils I've been adding for mouthfeel & head. I'm starting to think crystal grain additions are doing it fine without doubling it with the carapils. I'll have to try it without the carapils sometime & see.

Wow, great explanation guys, thanks! I think the fridge time may well have contributed to the less heady (and more desirable pour imho) beer that I drank last night compared to the others. It had been chilling for 2-3 days, whereas all the others were consumed within about 12 hours of being put in the fridge. It's amazing to learn all the subtle requirements that go into a good final product that touches your lips.

Back