Holiday mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im looking to make what would either be a melomel or metheglin for the holiday season. This is what I have and I want to use each item, but I don' t know what amount of each:
Juniper Berries (dried)
Spruce Tips (freshly picked)
Cranberries and maybe cherries
Cloves or Allspice
How much of each for 1 gallon?

I soaked two juniper berries overnight in a shotglass of a 10% ABV sample and it added quite a bit of flavor. I don't imagine it would take much to add similar flavor to a gallon batch over a period of a few days. I wouldn't think more than six or eight to start with.

I've seen others say cloves are potent and just one or two per gallon is plenty. But I have four in my orange caramel right now and don't really notice them amidst the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and other flavors.

I'd say it really depends on both your tastes and the freshness of your herbs. If you really like cloves you'll want more than somebody who can barely tolerate them. If your cloves came out of king Tut's tomb it may take more to get the same potency as cloves you just picked out of your garden. The usual advice is to start low since you can always add more.

You want a spruce/juniper/cranberry/allspice mead, or a couple different meads using these ingredients?

I'm looking to combine the ingredients into one mead. I want people to taste it and immediately think of the holidays. I have both allspice and cloves, and I'd rather use allspice both for the theme and I like the taste better. I have a bag of juniper berries and plenty of spruce tips (not easy to get!)

I thought SouthernGorilla"s advice was pretty good? The only experience I have had with any of those spices is the cloves, and as was stated, a little goes a LONG way.

Well I'd also review the spices you intend using.

I certainly wouldn't associate juniper or spruce tips with holiday brews - presuming the reference to holiday, meaning christmas/new year period.

I'd be thinking cloves, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and the like. Also quite sweet almost like a mulled wine type thing. The sweet wine is relatively straight forward. Then as most of those spices will extract well in the presence of alcohol, split the batch into as many as is needed to infuse each spice individually to your own taste then blend.

Back