Wrong grain..or oopsaweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabba11

www.CeeGeeBrewing.com
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, This is my first post here. I have been reading for months the forums on here. I started brewing in the 90's but gave it up as the beer I was making was horrendous. Thought I d give it another try in December of last year and have been brewing like a mad man since. Went from the starter extract kit to all grain in a few months and bottles to kegging already (but will still bottle some). Anyway, this past weekend I made my first really "big" mistake. To make a long story short I pulled wheat for my grain bill to make a NB cream ale recipe was as follows:
MASH INGREDIENTS
-- 7 lbs. Rahr 2-Row Pale (cept I put in pale wheat!)
-- 0.75 lbs. Gambrinus Honey Malt
-- 0.25 lbs. Belgian Biscuit malt
MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 150° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes
BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
1 oz Cluster (60 min)
YEAST
Wyeast 1056 American Ale.
..It was slow to take off but it bubbling away in the closet and of course I aint gonna pitch it, I mean who knows right? I am mostly curious if anyone has ever done something similar and what I might expect. I figure its making alcohol in there and unless it’s unbearable I will drink it. In some ways I am interested in how it will be. Also home brewing ahs made HUGE advances since I first did it. The use of starsan alone versus bleach and water is an absolute blessing..

It'll be interesting.

Probably the number 1 taste component in a Hefe is the yeast. The cleaner 1056 yeast will make it clear like a Crystal Hefe.

This will give you a good feel for different yeasts.

it did clean out more than a hefe but stil has some suspension..kinda sweet, but actually quite good. i kegged it and my brother insists its one of the best "wheat beers" hes ever had.. i may actually have to make it again..:eek:

nothing wrong with it at all. i looked at the recipe, and thought "a wheat beer with honey malt is gonna be a little sweet", but didn't really think anything extra about that biscuit, as i don't think it did much to that combo. good that it came out that good for you. if only some of my early oops had come out even drinkable...

Back