Chocolate Orange Honey Stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bgunn

Reaction score
I was interested on a bit of feedback on a new collaboration brew I just completed with my homebrew club. We all created a list of left-over ingredients we had and tried to make something unique from what we already had and needed to use. This is what we came up with...

10 lb 2-row
22 oz. flaked oats
4 oz. chocolate malt
12 oz. Briess roast barley malt
9 oz. debittered, black malt
7 oz. crystal 120
10 oz. carafa 2

60 minute addition
1 oz. Glacier

30 minute addition
.5 oz Willamette

Last 15 minutes of boil
2 oz. sweet orange peel
2 oz. semi sweet chocolate
2.5 oz. 60 % cacao baking chocolate
Irish Moss

Flame out
1 lb. orange blossom honey
Juice from 3 oranges
.5 oz Wilamette (which with too many cooks and ingredients in the "kitchen" we forgot to add.)

Cooled and dropped into a fermenter with the zest from 3 oranges and some US-05.

Our plan is to ferment, taste, and see if there is enough orange flavor detectible against the other big dark flavors in this beer. If not, we may put it in a secondary on some more fresh orange peel.

So there you have it, did we try to do too much in a single brew, or is our fun experiment going to be delicious as well?

I don't see anything in there that would make it taste bad...maybe the orange juice (fermented OJ is not good), but there isn't that much juice and a lot of dark malts to cover it up. I think it will be good, report back when it is finished!

The beer is still in a tertiary fermentor right now. We put it in a secondary and decided the flavors were pretty mellow so put it on 7 oz. of cocoa nibs and 4 oz. bitter orange peel (yeah, I know, that's a lot). Airlock was still bubbling every 10 seconds or so and gravity had dropped a touch after a week in secondary. We tasted the gravity samples and decided it was spot on in flavor. 8.5% abv, tons of chocolate up front and a hint of orange/citrus at the end. Pulled it off of the secondary additions into another carboy to be sure it stops fermenting and bulk age it for a bit, then everything will go into bottles. Yum!

Back