Anyone wants an Iranian friend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"...shouldn't I be worried about too little oxygen since I use bakery yeast and the process is more intense?"

This I am unsure of. It's been made into beer all ready. Adding more oxygen may not be good, but it seems necessary if you are adding a lot of sugar to make alcohol.

I'm not familiar with baker's yeast.

"...I'll gladly share my beer with you if you came this way
Also I'll buy you other kinds of underground liquor . You'll feel like you are in prohibition era "

You've certainly piqued my curiosity. And I'd be glad to try it out!

if i were you saied, i'd probably abandon the idea of making n/a beer alcoholic, and figure out a way to make a fermented beverage directly from material you have available to you. To me turning n/a beer alcoholic is nothing more than turning a sow's ear into a silk purse.

If you were handy and could build things, you could build....uh...."instruments" to....uh...."further refine" said products.

+1

How much sugar have you been adding to boost alcohol?
And how are you getting it back into the bottles and recapping them? I'd figure a capping tool and caps are quite scarce.

I'm not sure what you mean
A jug and funnels
I fill the jug, pure in through the funnel and put the lead back on

Do you have plastic bottles of fruit juice in Iran? I assume so; we're not THAT different, are we? You could always get bottles of juice (like apple juice or cranberry) that do not have preservatives and throw some yeast in, cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap, and wait a few weeks. Sure, it isn't beer, but it will produce alcoholic beverages. It sounds like getting the ingredients for an actual beer might be difficult, but if you can find malted barley, you're halfway there. I assume hops will be impossible to get, but you could substitute something for the bittering.

Do you have plastic bottles of fruit juice in Iran? I assume so; we're not THAT different, are we? You could always get bottles of juice (like apple juice or cranberry) that do not have preservatives and throw some yeast in, cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap, and wait a few weeks. Sure, it isn't beer, but it will produce alcoholic beverages. It sounds like getting the ingredients for an actual beer might be difficult, but if you can find malted barley, you're halfway there. I assume hops will be impossible to get, but you could substitute something for the bittering.

Yeah we have them but I'm not sure we have preservative free ones(we might, I haven't looked)
One of my friends makes great wine and I'm gonna try making cider when there is fresh apple available.meanwhile I'm quite content with my beer.
And I wanna make mead too.
Getting hops is difficult and I haven't found some myself.But I have heard people can obtain it

Salem Malakeum, Siaed, Sorry its not Farsie but its as close as I can get.

Anyone here ever have Malt Liquor? I have and correct me if I am wrong but it does not have hops.

Also things that might take into consideration are Skeeter Pee. I have never made it or have had it but, from this website I guess its popular. Others here also are correct in saying that its possible to ferment anything. I have heard of a guy that was a cook in Saudi and was able to get sugar and juice by the kilo. It was said that it tasted like a sherry or port wine. He even brought it to parties and it was quite a hit. People were asking him if he could sell some to them.

I think that mead for you is the way to go. Google or look up on this site JAO. I have made this reciepe and was very pleased with it. I am sure you have those ingredients there.

When fermenting though sanitizing is of the utmost importance. Be carefull with the bleach. Rinsing throughly is important, otherwise there will be a bleach after taste.

for straight alcohol a simple recipie would be adding sugar to soda or juice and adding a packet of bakers yeast.

Another time of advice, make sure there is enough ventilation. Once fermenting begins it will smell a bit. One or two liters not so much but you will notice. The larger the batches the more it will smell. For me it smells wonderfull, but you be the judge and make sure your parents dont find out. Maybe put it in a dark place like in a bag outside on the window or something.

good look let us know what happens.

I'd imagine that in Iran he'd have plenty of access to fresh fruit of all sorts and could squeeze it himself. Whether there'd be a need to add additional sugars and if so how much, I have no idea, for getting a decent ABV out of fresh fruit juices. Nor do i know what temperatures are ideal to ferment at such that the juice doesn't go off.

I bet he can probably do a good enough job with the N/A beer though to make a session beer. Fruit based beverages are hard to do a whole night on.

honey or sugar are the fermentable ingredents. the fruit is just for flavoring although it does add a bit of gravity. I just wanted to say that nearbeer is not the only alternative to fermenting, and maybe a nice "joes ancient orange" might be a nice substutite. JOA is awsome stuff and once you have made it, the second batch is easy to tweak according to taste, meaning more of this or less of that, maybe add some of this to see what happens.

Also yeast is yeast, it all ferments at roughly the same tempture cept maybe lager yeast, but then I dont do lagers (not yet anyway). too many variations for this recipie as well as others , IMHO

Yeast strains are only about the type of flavor profile that will impart onto the beverage. Bakers yeast if pretty straight foward and widely available everywhere, I am sure.

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder!!

Sorry said. Here we don't use twist off caps. We have a capping tool that crimps a cap on to the bottle which requires a cap prying tool to take it back off. I figured you'd have a hard time getting that tool which crimps them on and the caps.

This has really started to sound like an interesting experiment to try in my 1-gal bottle, only problem I have is finding a N/A beer in Portland, and doing it without inciting a riot.

Haha, the hipsters would have no idea what you were talking about! If you asked me for n/a beer I would probably turn and walk away:D

I am an absolute beginner living in a Muslim country(Iran) .I have so many questions and unique limitations that this forum doesn't seem like a suitable medium.
If you are an experienced brewer please do add me on Facebook or email me.
I promise I'll make a good protégé :)
Www.facebook.com/saied.vanguard
[email protected]

Not to make trouble, but thought Muslims couldn't drink beer. Then again maybe you aren't Muslim?

Hi Saied.

I actually have a few Persian friends I haven't seen in a long time, ( one named Saied ). They were all dentistry students. We would get together just about every weekend and eat kabob, korescht- bodumjoon, koo koo, dance and have a great time.

I love seeing discussion like this about Persians to show that your "Average" Persian is not really much different than your "Average" American.

To your topic, I think that your best options for fermentable products are the various native fruits of your region, probably grapes, cherries, currants, pomegranate, plums, oranges, apples, etc. I am sure that finding raw ingredients to produce beer would be exhausting, since those products are officially forbidden, and probably rarely imported.

As I recall, my friends did not particularly care for wine, as it was "common" for them, they said that everyone made wine, and they did have a greater thirst for beer and liquor.

Good luck!

Also yeast is yeast, it all ferments at roughly the same tempture cept maybe lager yeast .

Yeast strains are only about the type of flavor profile that will impart onto the beverage. Bakers yeast if pretty straight foward and widely available everywhere, I am sure.

Then why are some called Bakers yeast and some Beer yeast ?!

Of course yeast strains impart flavors , but you are not expecting any good aroma by mad bakers yeast .

Hector

Yeah and Christians aren't supposed have sex outside marriage

Baaa Haaaaaaa LOVE IT!!

So in reading this I cant help but think you are a 16 year old kid living at home in Utah somewhere and we're all giving you advise on how to make a Hooch/Beer hybrid drink out of N/A beer you get from the market.... LOL I'm not saying you are Saied it just what keeps going through my head for some reason. :D
Wonder if hops would grow where your at?

Good luck with the beer. If there is any place on the internet you could go to get help making beer of any kind this is the place man..Good Luck I bet if you asked, someone here would probably even send you some high alpha pellets just to help you.

Cheers
Jay

Baaa Haaaaaaa LOVE IT!!

So in reading this I cant help but think you are a 16 year old kid living at home in Utah somewhere and we're all giving you advise on how to make a Hooch/Beer hybrid drink out of N/A beer you get from the market.... LOL I'm not saying you are Saied it just what keeps going through my head for some reason. :D
Wonder if hops would grow where your at?

Good luck with the beer. If there is any place on the internet you could go to get help making beer of any kind this is the place man..Good Luck I bet if you asked, someone here would probably even send you some high alpha pellets just to help you.

Cheers
Jay
Thank you! :)
There are hops in Iran but I'd love to have a packet of beer yeast.I have friends abroad that could send me some
Although I dont know if it would be wise to send it with DHL for example

Hi Saied.

I actually have a few Persian friends I haven't seen in a long time, ( one named Saied ). They were all dentistry students. We would get together just about every weekend and eat kabob, korescht- bodumjoon, koo koo, dance and have a great time.

I love seeing discussion like this about Persians to show that your "Average" Persian is not really much different than your "Average" American.

To your topic, I think that your best options for fermentable products are the various native fruits of your region, probably grapes, cherries, currants, pomegranate, plums, oranges, apples, etc. I am sure that finding raw ingredients to produce beer would be exhausting, since those products are officially forbidden, and probably rarely imported.

As I recall, my friends did not particularly care for wine, as it was "common" for them, they said that everyone made wine, and they did have a greater thirst for beer and liquor.

Good luck!

happy that you liked our cuisine :)
I'll definitely start making fruit wines.
Well some families are more modern but mine is rather conservative and wine is certainly not "common" where I grew.

Then why are some called Bakers yeast and some Beer yeast ?!

Of course yeast strains impart flavors , but you are not expecting any good aroma by mad bakers yeast .

Hector

Too many strains of yeast. I guess its just what you want the yeast to do. there is special yeast for sourdough, bread, lager, ale, sour beer, too many types of wine, champagne, pinos, cabs.

Never really thought what would beer taste like when using bread yeast or the other way around. Never thought about this experment and that is would it would be, becasue I am not sure any one of them would be palletable. Someone here might want to try it thought and post to this thread or another thread.:)

Yeah and Christians aren't supposed to have sex outside marriage

Classic man, classic!! :mug: Funny thing is, depending which of the 87.341 million sects of christianity you ask, they're not s'posed to drink either. :D

To continue on the fruit thing, fruit is indeed fermentable, though to what degree depends on the fruit. Most of the fruit wines I've made have been canned fruit puree, sugar and water. Mix and pitch yeast. Simple. You can use fresh fruit, or canned, if fresh just freeze it, and then mush it up well, add water and sugar and pitch yeast.

Siaed. I would recommend honey wines (meads) becasue they are the easiest to make and extreamly tasty. Grape wines are the best (of course):), and anyone in this country will tell you that the best wines come from california, but for you to pick 5 or 10 killos of grapes, squash and press them might more labor intensive than it might be worth as well as raise suspicions amongst the family. With honey wine just take the honey, add water, and any fruit or spices that might be effictive, wait a month or longer, and there you have it. If your interested in making honey wine PM me and I will give you a link to another forum that compeats with this one.

Also I have ideas about how to make it simple with locally made hardware that might be usefull. I like to take my craft with me when I leave the country so ask if you need help in this area.

Oh and by the way, in defence of the human race, many people lie, cheat, steel, drink, smoke, rape, blunder, and pillige, and religion has nothing to do with it. And yes I have seen muslems drink, smoke, as well as christians doing the same thing. So just because someone is Muslem does is not mean that person is ultra-orthodoxed (as is the stereo type here in the west). Hell the world is full of pedofile preachers in the catholic church. Many horror stories abound when it comes to race, religion, cread, or mammal, the world has in it. I dont like it when people dont sterlize bottle caps (I have seen this done before), but this this make them a bad person? I dont think so. No one or nothing is above reproach.

Sorry about my little rant at the end. I just want to point out the commonality of everyone in general.

I have a feeling that this thread will be sticky in a short while!!

Latest posts

Back