Mash Tun for 15 Gallon Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Hi

I currently brew ten gallon batches, ie, ten gallons into the fermenter.

I will be converting one of my farm outbuildings to a brewery and want to move to a 15 gallon system.

I just ordered my brew kettle and will begin building a 15 gallon conical for fermenting.

I do though need some advice on the mash tun. I currently batch sparge with a 70gt. Coleman cooler. I do use a pump to move wort.

For my ten gallon system I pretty much fill up the Coleman. I want to continue to batch sparge.

Should I simply pick up a smaller cooler and mash a five gallon batch and simply combine the runnings with the ten gallon system I already use?

What other batch sparge options might I consider? I am hesitant to batch sparge in a 100 to 150qt. cooler as the weight and bulk may be too much for me to handle safely.

Thanks for your time.

A friend of mine routinely does 20 gallon brews using a 120 qt cooler. It is just a matter of getting the height right so that you empty the grain 5 gallons at time after the mash so that you aren't picking up the full cooler. Good luck. Sounds like an interesting build.

When I made 15 gallon batches, I used a 30 gallon blue HDPE barrel. I cut it down about 6" and reused the lid. The HDPE is very thick and much easier to add a bulkhead compared to a cooler. They are light and easy to handle. Holds heat well. I currently use a 55 gallon blue HDPE barrel for the mash tun in my 30 gallon system.
system.jpg

When I made 15 gallon batches, I used a 30 gallon blue HDPE barrel. I cut it down about 6" and reused the lid. The HDPE is very thick and much easier to add a bulkhead compared to a cooler. They are light and easy to handle. Holds heat well. I currently use a 55 gallon blue HDPE barrel for the mash tun in my 30 gallon system.
system.jpg

Thanks Steve...I think this is the solution. Is this what you bought? 30 gallon blue HDPE barrel? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0025QI4XC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You said it held temps well. Are these tanks insulated?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back