Those "travel size" CO2 Setups?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen what I am calling "travel size" CO2 setups for corny kegs. They basically attach to the "In" and are pretty small, no lines or other hardware to drop and break (or form a torpedoes from). A few couple questions:

1. What are these called? If I don't know what they are called I can't very well search for them. :)
  2. Are they a decent solution? Like for bringing a key to a bonfire or camping trip?

I have seen what I am calling "travel size" CO2 setups for corny kegs. They basically attach to the "In" and are pretty small, no lines or other hardware to drop and break (or form a torpedoes from). A few couple questions:

1. What are these called? If I don't know what they are called I can't very well search for them. :)
  2. Are they a decent solution? Like for bringing a key to a bonfire or camping trip?

You mean those little "co2 guns?" They work great for portable use. The only thing is, you've got to hide it. Otherwise, just like when we were kids a couple of guys would go crazy and pump the air pumper in the keg, leaving a foamy mess? Well, non-brewers want to play with the damn gun as well.

The idea is that you just give it a shot when the pour slows down, to dispense the beer. There isn't any regulator or anything. And you can change out the cartridge without taking off the contraption, so it's easy and handy. It normally takes about 2 cartridges or so to dispense a 5 gallon keg.

It's called a "co2 charger" on austinhomebrew.com: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...12296&osCsid=e49729f754044dcc833a5ea5531f8464

Yoop, this is what I was thinking of ... although I had no idea they were this expensive:

Mini-CO2 Regulator w/ Quick Disconnect and CO2 Cartridge - $149.99

I did find this as well though to adapt a paintball gun CO2 canister to a standard regulator:

The Adapter CO-2-GO - $13.49

It might be cheaper in the long run to do the adapter and get a less expensive single-gauge regulator for travel.

http://www.kegoutlet.com/pin-valve-regulator.html

It's a bit more expensive, but it works great! I used one for years until I thought it fried out and replaced it with a different version only to find out that my son had played with it and loosened a screw or two. They also come in handy for force carbing and using a carbonator cap. Here's a picture of my current one:

image-1653349908.jpg

With these portable units, I'm assuming you can use the CO2 cartridges that are normally sold for pellet guns?

Back