Bubbles forming with hop strainer bag around racking cane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhurt

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but I'll ask regardless :)

I like to dry hop my beers and to prevent all the hop material from entering my bottling bucket, I've been wrapping a hop bag around the end of the racking cane. When I do this, lots of bubbles seem to form in the siphoning tube. Will this oxygenate my beer? Or is this just CO2 in solution being released as it travels through the mesh of the bag?

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask regardless :)

I like to dry hop my beers and to prevent all the hop material from entering my bottling bucket, I've been wrapping a hop bag around the end of the racking cane. When I do this, lots of bubbles seem to form in the siphoning tube. Will this oxygenate my beer? Or is this just CO2 in solution being released as it travels through the mesh of the bag?

It sounds like the bag may be too tight against the cane. Loosen it up a bit so that the hops are strained but the cane has some room to get the fluid in without too much work.
With that being said..... next time place the bag loosely over the siphon end that you place in the carboy. This way no debris enters your cane and siphon at all.

mike024 said:
It sounds like the bag may be too tight against the cane. Loosen it up a bit so that the hops are strained but the cane has some room to get the fluid in without too much work.
With that being said..... next time place the bag loosely over the siphon end that you place in the carboy. This way no debris enters your cane and siphon at all.

Yes I was putting the bag around the end that's in the carboy (not in the bottling bucket) and was getting bubbles. I thought it was loose but maybe the suction of the siphon pulled the bag up tight. I'll keep that in mind next time. Thanks!

I haven't tried it yet but today at the store I found a stainless steal lint catcher for a dryer. Looks like a chain mail condom pretty much. I bought this to put on the end of my racking cane for this same reason. Its stiffer and I think it will work better than a hop sack as I have had poor results with them as well. I'm also considering dry hoping in a sterilized hop sack

I haven't tried it yet but today at the store I found a stainless steal lint catcher for a dryer. Looks like a chain mail condom pretty much. I bought this to put on the end of my racking cane for this same reason. Its stiffer and I think it will work better than a hop sack as I have had poor results with them as well. I'm also considering dry hoping in a sterilized hop sack

That is a genius idea! They make large filters for paint sprayers that sound very similar. I will have to try this. Thanks!

Back