yeast nutrient - fermax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desiderata

Reaction score
What is the proper way to use this stuff? It only says use 1 tsp per gallon, but I have read conflicting ways to use it. Do I add it at the beginning of the boil, towards the end, or after pitching? I know many brewers use it with a yeast starter, but unfortunately, I haven't got the equipment to do this yet.

thanks.

I think Fermax is a wine yeast nutrient.

I use the Wyeast yeast nutrient and I only use 1/2 a teaspoon which I add in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Alright, thanks guys. It may be wine yeast (HBS didn't specify that--D@#n!) If so, I'll wait and use it if I make some mead someday. I don't think it is necessary for extract brewing (after doing more research) and won't help all that much. I just need to begin making starters to get better results.
:mug:

It's just fertilizer. It will work as well for ale/lager/mead/cider yeasts as for wine yeasts.

It's actually more useful for extract batches, because extract has many of the nutrients filtered out in the drying/concentrating process.

Resurrecting a very old thread. Looking to make some hard cider and I know adding yeast nutrient is recommended. According to BeerSmith Blog, adding 1tsp of DAP is recommended. I know that Fermax has DAP in it along with other nutrients. So wondering if 1tsp is still the correct amount for Fermax. Anybody with any experience doing this with their cider?

Back