Irish red ale bout an inch of sed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpfeil8484

Reaction score
so two mths ago i brewed an Irish red ale.... conditioned it two weeks room temp. which is 70 degrees, then put it in the fridge to finish up....they have been in the fridge for almost a month now their taste is very yeasty and they have about one inch of sediment on the bottom which is very tricky not to get in the glass...should i consider it a lost brew...i saw the post revvy posted about not ginin up on a brew...but how long is too long?

:mug:

We need a little more information. You fermented in the primary for two weeks, right? And then racked it into a keg? Bottled it?

It almost sounds like you're drinking it right out of the primary... but that can't be right.

sry yes primary for two weeks then bottled been bottled for almost a mounth and a half

Not sure what you mean by conditioned 2 weeks? Is that fermenting or in the bottle?
If its 2 weeks for bottle are they carbed properly? Throwing them in fridge would hault all yeast activity...

Is the beer bright(clear)? If there is literally an INCH of sediment in the bottle then you sucked up way to much yeast/trub and may be suffering from autolysis in the bottle?? Never heard of this but ive always never heard of an inch of sediment in the bottles.
A normal longneck is about 9 inchs with the top 2 being head space. i find it hard to believe the yeast takes up 1/7 of the liquid...

Also to help with that sediment just pour slow towards the end and watch the mouth. As soon as you see sediment/cloudyness stop pouring, you might loose an oz or 2 but its what has to be done for us picky americans who love there beer clear!

EDIT:I take to long to type
sry yes primary for two weeks then bottled been bottled for almost a mounth and a half

Did you check SG and FG?
What yeast are you using also?

its been in the bottles for almost two months...also i should note my dad bottled it while i was not home...claims he forgot the priming sugar and bottled half the batch...realized his mistake then dumped this all back in to bottling bucket then preceded to bottle again...this probably explains all the trub....i guess im just wondering if this beer is a lost cause due to its yeasty taste and crazy amount of trub

They'll never carbonate in the fridge. Carbonation depends on yeast activity and at refrigeration temps all yeast activity stops.

Get them someplace warm and dark. 70-72 is good.

Dumping all the beer back in the bottling bucket will oxidize the beer to some degree. Whether or not you'll be able to taste it... no idea.

When I bottled, the first beers were always the clearest. The last 12 or so beers sometimes had more sediment in them than the others if I wasn't careful about picking up trub, but I never had an issue just pouring off the beer into a glass and rinsing the rest out.

its been in the bottles for almost two months...also i should note my dad bottled it while i was not home...claims he forgot the priming sugar and bottled half the batch...realized his mistake then dumped this all back in to bottling bucket then preceded to bottle again...this probably explains all the trub....i guess im just wondering if this beer is a lost cause due to its yeasty taste and crazy amount of trub

Did he actually use a bottling bucket, or bottled from the primary? Pouring it back in I'd be worried about oxidation as was mentioned, but there shouldn't be much if any trub in the bottling bucket. An inch is a hella lot in a bottle. Still it should compact down and allow you to pour off it if you're careful like Johnny said.

Back