Could my guaranteed infected beer not be infected...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloom_198d

Reaction score
Hello,

Brew day this weekend was for a wheat lager. Upon putting the fermentor into the keezer, the carboy broke and the contents began to spill out into the very unclean keezer.

Deciding I had nothing to lose, my brewing friend and I decided to siphon the beer out of the keezer and into a new fermentor (just 1 gallon). We are expecting this beer to be infected, but hoping it is "interesting".

Funny thing is...after 3 days the beer is bubbling away normally, with no odours or visible sign of infection. Is it possible that this beer could turn out perfectly fine? We tend to over pitch our lagers (i think we put 150ml of budvar yeast slurry into a 2.5 gallon batch), and bacteria wouldn't be as comfortable as lager yeast at 7C?

Just wondering peoples opinion and comments...

all you can do is try it in a week when transfering to secondary and if its sour or smells like socks then its probably no good :$. Im crazy about sanitizing and still had one sour batch before so if yours works out it will be amazing hah good luck!!

meh. It may be ok. Plenty of yeast. You could be ok. Probably should be consumed young, but you never know. You will see plenty of stories on here of dirty screwdrivers, hammers, kids toys, bears, et al dropped in primaries. It just may turn out. Let us know how it turns out. And for the love of yeast come up with a creative name for it. Keezer Soup?

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to give a quick update. (I am Bloom_198d's brewing friend). I am drinking the beer in question now. There is a little bit of off flavour from diacetyl. I guess we didn't give it a long enough D-rest. Other than that the beer is fine. Taught us we should never throw out a beer. Thanks for the input.

Ps. We named it Keezer soup in honour of DrunkleJon.

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to give a quick update. (I am Bloom_198d's brewing friend). I am drinking the beer in question now. There is a little bit of off flavour from diacetyl. I guess we didn't give it a long enough D-rest. Other than that the beer is fine. Taught us we should never throw out a beer. Thanks for the input.

Ps. We named it Keezer soup in honour of DrunkleJon.

I am honored and glad it turned out okay.

Back