What can i clean with oxyclean? Mashtun pot ect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Any recommendations for cleaning my mashtun and pot and better bottles and buckets?

I use oxi-clean on my aluminum kettle, just don't soak it in it. I do not get any off flavors, try to find the oxi-clean free though.

You can use Oxiclean on AL. Just don't soak it for more than an hour or so.

If you want to really kick it up a notch add some Red Devil TSP to your Oxi in a 3:1 ratio Oxi/TSP. It is a fantastic cleaner.

Theres no reason to have to soak your mash tun, Unless you've left it over night to get all gunked up. I clean my cooler mash tun while the wort is on the boil. Rinse it out with the hose. Quick scrub down with a soft cleaning pad that doesn't scratch soaked in Oxiclean (generic non-scented). Rinse again and dry. I soak my Pick up screen in Oxi while cleaning tun. Then rinse it off with hose using finger to create high pressure from hose. The main key is to get stuff really dry before putting up for storage. Like putting a lid on a cooler before its completely dry.. If you have moisture then it will mold.

I use it on everything, especially my carboys (glass and better bottles). Fill 'em up with oxy clean and warm water...let them sit for a few hours....and all the crud just melts away. Love it!

I use "Oxyclean Free" On everything. I wash all of my utensils in it before use and apply a sanitizer like star san and wash it after use and rinse well before I put it away. Using this procedure insures that I dont get any build up of crusties and that the item is clean during storage and cleaned again before use. Good sanitation is a super important part of this hobby and a lax approach will eventually cost you time and money. Cleaners are cheap and if you use your time wisely it will not cause any additional time to be spent or wasted on brew days. You can always wash and clean while the kettles are boiling, heating and cooling so that when you pour that batch into the fermentor and call it a day you are really done with everything.

Wheelchair Bob

The thing about the cheap OxiClean™ knock-offs is that they will form limestone scale in hardwater. This is particularly annoying with bottles. I don’t think it hurts anything, but it looks bad.

I am told the name brand Oxi doesn’t do that. I don’t know, I always buy the cheap stuff. What I do is start with a weak solution of PBW and add the fake Oxi after the PBW has already dissolved.

The PBW takes care of the hardness and the cheap fake Oxi adds a nice kick to the solution. I think the combo works better than a proper solution of either one by itself. And at $9/lb PBW is best used sparingly.

You are correct , the generic Oxi does leave white spots , but I rinse with water and that removes the problem.

I left some bottles to soak in OxyClean and forgot about them for a month or more. When I came back to them, crystals were growing on some of the bottles, inside and out.

The only way I could get it out of the bottles was to soak them in StarSan for a day.

Back