Pulling bottles from your neighbor's recycle bin - thrifty or across the line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stay-on-topic.jpg

You sir are wrong...basics of firearms 101...you DO NOT shoot to kill...you shoot to STOP THE THREAT.

You should only shoot at someone if you are prepared and trying to kill them. If you are not justified in killing the person (morally, legally, etc.) then you have absolutely no business shooting at them. I think it's probably pretty rare that you will be truly justified in killing another person, and going through your recycling is definitely not a valid reason. Rock salt may be a different story though because it's not necessarily deadly.

My apologies to Porkins for continuing off topic.

It will help you in court later. Like the above poster said, if you aren't justified in killing someone then you aren't justified in shooting at them at all.

No, what will help you in court is NOT killing them. You are not out to kill someone that is trying to harm you, you are out to STOP them from harming you.

This is why it is not shoot to kill it is shoot to stop the threat.

You are NEVER justified in killing someone, you are only justified in stopping them from harming you or your family period.

You will have a MUCH larger chance of being taken to court after killing someone versus stopping the threat and any judge that hears you say "I shot to kill" will not be on your side, on the other hand if you say "I shot to stop the threat" you will be playing a whole different ball game. If you shoot to kill then you predetermined before you pulled the trigger to take a life which NEVER will go in your favor in court.

If you took any class that told you "Shoot to Kill" you should seek different education in the future

I highly doubt he is checking his recycling bin after he puts it out....So unless he sees you, he will probably not know. But your other neighbors might suspect you have a weird fetish (if they see you rummaging) unless they know you brew....

I live in a townhouse development, everyone see's me outside on brew day and stops over to see what all the commotion is. This in turns leads to them volunteering to give me bottles. Which in turn brings them back to my house, usually with food, to sample the brews. A good trade I think, as I love eating.

I'm from NJ and while in MA on business, just picked up 2 empty CRossi gallon jugs from the curbside garbage in Lowell MA. No harm to me or anyone else. I love roadside finds. 2 more gallons of something being brewed this weekend. The only danger for me is in my checking account since, now I have to make a trip to the LHBS for supplies. What can I say, I hate having empty carboys.

Lots of wine drinkers in my condo complex, and I find bottles outside my door on a frequent basis. I hand out 'samples' to those same folks, so there is a circle of exchange. :)

I do pull Carlo Rossi jugs and the occasional 750ml from the dumpster, and have never heard 'boo' from anyone.

I put a dishwasher be the road once, it worked fine, we just upgraded the one we had. It sat for about a week and no one picked it up. I put a for sale sign on it, and it was stolen that night. :)

I put a dishwasher be the road once, it worked fine, we just upgraded the one we had. It sat for about a week and no one picked it up. I put a for sale sign on it, and it was stolen that night. :)

Did this with a dryer that quit working. I couldn't believe nobody would take it with a sign that said free, but I put a $100 sign on it and it magically disappeared.

Well... I'm not going to read through 14 pages of posts, but I live in Katy :cross:

Are you trying to tell me something? LOL

Can't be me cause I NEVER throw out non-thread cap style bottles, I'm a bottle whore.... if I bring 4 or 5 quarts to a gathering (that's primarily what I bottle in), I'm leaving with 4-5 empty quart bottles.

Oh... as far as taking bottles out of neighbor's recycle bin... I equate that to sticking a piece of furniture outside to be picked up by the heavy trash day truck. Either the truck gets it or someone hauls it off before the trash truck. Fair game once it goes to the curb

In NYC I would be amazed if a single bottle that can be returned for ¢ ends up in the recycling companies trucks. There are people with full shopping carts that dig through the trash.

For my 2p on the matter every other week or so my Girlfriend comes back from uni with a few bags full of empties that she's collected for me from the folks down the road she stays on, doesn't ask, just goes on "drunken 3am hunting trips". and she hasn't had any issues yet!

Then she's annoyed when i go and feel the need to fill these bottles asap and brew, again!

But i shouldn't complain, in the only one benefitting from this arrangement! all of the reward, none of the hassle!

Back