hop combos for next ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crash568

Reaction score
So here I am on batch number three and I am working on the recipe for a coloboration with a first time brewer. He expressed his love for bright floral citrusy ipas. Went to the store and bought some amarillo sorachi ace and citra hops and as it stands now im looking at a plan hop plan that looks like this.
.5 oz chinook @60
.4 oz sorachi @ 30
.4 amarillo @15
.3 sorachi @ 15
remaining sorachi and amarillo at FO

then I plan to dry hop with an oz of citra and cascade whole leaf for 5-7 days. any input is much appreciated as I am still pretty new myself. Thanks!

I made my first IPA last weekend and I used an ounce of cascade for 60min, .5oz of Chinook for 30 min and .25oz of Liberty for 5 min. Then after 5 days I added 1oz of Cascade whole hop to the primary. This was only a 2,5 Gal batch and according to my calculator is at 61IBUs. light amber in color and citirsy smell leads it to be a close contender to 60 min IPAs everywhere.

Nice! I've used chinook before and this is the only hop I'm using in this batch that I have used in a prior beer so I'm really looking forward to seeing how these newer to me hops differ from my last batch

Have been using a zethos blend in my last few IPAs with great results. I have really been hooked on citrus IPAs lately.

So is that a blended hop pellet? What hops does it blend together?

Love Simco and Citra together. Buddy also just brewed an IPA using Warrior (just at 60 min) and rest Mosaic and thought it was fantastic.

I think you need more hops at least double all of those late additions

I would also choose something else to bitter with maybe horizon or magnum, something with a low cohumulone level. Chinook is very high in cohumulone and will give a pretty harsh bitterness compared to the varieties I listed above

not a terrible schedule, but need a bit more info. what is the malt bill like? OG/ anticipated ABV? all of those are delicious hops, but i would put them all closer to the end of the boil, and use a different hop for bittering. you might also try using a hop stand technique. adding FO addition and then let it sit hot for 30 minutes before cooling.

you could even double, triple or even quadruple all your late hop amounts as well. just over an oz of hops in the last 30 minutes is pretty low for an ipa.

Although dry hops give a big aroma, they do not give any flavor and will fade quicker than hops in the boil. I'm not saying change your dry hops, I'm trying to suggest you increase your hops at the end of the boil.

Do you know what Sorachi Ace will give you? It will be the dominant hop in that schedule and will give a lemon flavor. You might not want to use it for someones first IPA. There is a reason it is not being used by the Commercial brewers.

So I changed the recipe up ill post the whole thing later but ill be bittering with the sorachi and using cascade and Amarillo for flavor

i made a citrus ipa that was insanely good. Used cascade and Centennial and cascade and then dry hopped with cascade. I'll try to find the recipe if your interested

I'm getting ready to do my first hoppy IPA, and I'm thinking about using Warrior, Amarillo and Citra. This is the recipe I'm considering -- any feedback would be welcome!

SRM: 9.0 SRM
IBU: 54.8
OG: 1.069 SG
FG: 1.015 SG
BU:GU: 0.798
Est ABV: 7.0 %

Batch: 5.00 gal Boil: 3.67 gal BT: 60 Mins

1 lb Crystal 40L
9 lbs LME Golden (4.0 SRM)
First Wort Hop (60 min): 1 oz Warrior
20 min: 0.5 oz Citra/0.5 oz Amarillo
15 min: 0.5 oz Citra/0.5 oz Amarillo
Whirlpool (0 min): 0.5 oz Citra/0.5 oz Amarillo
Dry Hop (5 days): 0.5 oz Citra/0.5 oz Amarillo

Sounds tasty. I have been debating on either a APA or IPA using warrior, citra, Amarillo, and possibly cascade or simco. Anybody have experience with a combo like this? Going for a great smell and with a nice crisp citrusy flavor.

Back