Wyeast 3638 or WhiteLab 351

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawlessamps

Reaction score
I just finished drinking my batch of wheat using the white lab 300 and while it was good I had almost none of the banana bubblegum flavor I love and want. It seems all the brew shops near me carry white labs only and I really want to try the wyeast 3638 but I read good things about WL 351. Do I order 3638 online or go with 351? Also the coolest spot in my house is 68degF. I read to emphasize the bubblegum/ banana you should ferment at lower temps. Give me some real world info please.

Alright perhaps this is a question already asked so no replies. I did find a site that said they were both the same.

I went with the white labs 351 and didn't notice it was 3 days past exp date so I shook it a lot and let it come up to room temp. I am sure a lot of you know what happened next. I lost probably 25% when opening. Will this be a problem?

To get the bubblegum/bannana flavor you want is is very traditional in a true german hefeweizen, you need to ferm at higher not lower temperatures. Upwards of 80F. I have made one of the best, most true to bavarian style weizens I've ever tasted in the US using WLP300 (which is purported to be the same Weihenstephaner yeast as Wyeast 3068). However, I just purchased a package of 3638 myself because I was intrigued, I'll be making a standard hefeweizen batch this weekend but with this yeast instead.

Back