Thin tasting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captgus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed Jamil's "can you brew it" Moose Drool recipe recently and it seems to have over attenuated. I can't figure it out (it's a problem I have quite frequently) and the last two times I've taken gravity readings and tasted it, it just tastes thin to me.

The big picture question I have is, what could be causing me to over shoot my final gravity?

Second, is it possible to add some maltodextrin when racking to a keg to add some body or is it too late at that point?

Gravity readings are a great way to see what the taste might be but there is a big difference between the final gravity sample and the taste when it is carbonated and matured. The carbonation by itself will help but give this beer some time at room temperature so the compounds in the darker grains can come together and that thinness you perceive may be gone. Try to give this beer 4 weeks in the keg before you chill it. The maturing process will continue after it is chilled but it will be very slow.

Gravity readings are a great way to see what the taste might be but there is a big difference between the final gravity sample and the taste when it is carbonated and matured. The carbonation by itself will help but give this beer some time at room temperature so the compounds in the darker grains can come together and that thinness you perceive may be gone. Try to give this beer 4 weeks in the keg before you chill it. The maturing process will continue after it is chilled but it will be very slow.

Thanks for the input, I'm not necessarily in a hurry to rack it to a keg, so I'll just leave it in the primary for another two weeks and then give it another taste.

So you're tasting it uncarbed? Just about EVERY new brewer who starts a thread about how thin a beer seems is trying it green and un carbed. Carbonation goes a long way to giving beer the perception of fullness. Ever had fountain coke where the mix was not quite right? Remember how thin that seemed?

You can never judge a beer fully, be it body or off flavors or whatever in the primary or a secondary. You really need to have it fully carbed and conditioned to know whether or not anything is wrong.

Thanks for the feedback Revvy, message received loud and clear. I think I'll sit on it for another full week, rack in to a keg and report back, in the off chance that anyone cares.

Put a little CO2 on the keg but leave it warm for another week or more before you chill it. You'll find that the apparent body will increase as the beer matures too.

This goes along with an issue I have also. I brewed my second batch of beer (widmer brothers hef clone) 10 days ago. Everything went well but last night when I racked it to the secondary I pulled a little off to take a gravity reading. Afterwards I tasted the sample and there was very little flavor. What could I have done wrong?

Latest posts

Back