Freeze trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian211

Reaction score
A thought. I've had issues disturbing my trub when racking and bottling. Could I just sit the primary or secondary on some ice cold water (about a couple inches high) overnight to freeze or slightly freeze the trub to make it harder to disturb it? Making it more solid.

hmmm, I don't think it will work with ice cold water? Seems like the coldness will just spread over the whole batch and not just the trub.

Maybe with dry ice tho?

Practice makes perfect - I would just keep working on your siphoning technique. A bit of trub spilling over into the bottling buck is pretty common and won't make any difference in the final product.

Cold-crashing is a good way to clear up your beer and help compress the trub. I do it before I keg. I have a small chest freezer with a temp controller to do this.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with an ice water bath assuming you can get it cold enough.

b-boy said:
Cold-crashing is a good way to clear up your beer and help compress the trub. I do it before I keg. I have a small chest freezer with a temp controller to do this.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with an ice water bath assuming you can get it cold enough.

Thank you!

You're not going to be able to use ice water to freeze the layer that includes the trub, since the water in the ice water bath will only be at the freezing point of water. The beer will have a lower freezing point due to the alcohol, and even if it were pure water you'd have to undercool it a little below the ice water temperature.

You could add salt to the bath to lower the melting point, which with enough ice from a standard freezer, would probably get you cold enough, at least for a while.

You can't get it to freeze and you wouldn't want to do that anyway. If you get the beer temp cold enough a lot of the floating yeast and trub will settle out and the trub will solidify a bit. It makes racking much, much easier.

b-boy said:
You can't get it to freeze and you wouldn't want to do that anyway. If you get the beer temp cold enough a lot of the floating yeast and trub will settle out and the trub will solidify a bit. It makes racking much, much easier.

Having technical issues responding so I'm responding through one personal response. Just want to thank everyone for their input. You guys rock!

Back