Yeast not dropping out....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfowl01

Reaction score
Is it normal for some strians of yeast to not drop out? I have noticed a few that stay on top even after FG is reached. Do I need to do anything special with these strians?.....cold crash maybe?

If you look on Wyeast's website, both of those strains have low flocculation, meaning it will stay in suspension longer than strains with high flocculation. More time, cold crashing, and using gelatin will all help with clearing your beer. If you have clumps of yeast on top of the fermented beer (yeast rafts), then simply shaking the fermentor or pushing them down with anything sanitized will get them to sink.

Before I would suggest cold crashing and gelatin I would suggest adequate time fermenting. How long has it been fermenting? Has terminal gravity been reached?

If you have the ability to cold crash (35-38*F for 3-5 days), there's no good reason to not do it. If you have "yeast rafts", you may want to poke them first.

I cold crash (in the primary) even when using yeast that has mid-high flocculation. I only use gelatin if kegging.

Back