Wyeast Smack Pack question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emarsh

Reaction score
I ordered a kit (Pliny the Elder clone) and some yeast (Wyeast 1056), and when it arrived 5 days later, the yeast smack pack was bulging. Apparently the nutrient pack had already broken some time during shipping, maybe yesterday, maybe 5 days ago. I don't intend to brew for a few more days. What should I do? Will the yeast be ok? Should I refrigerate it? Should I open it up and make a starter? Should I go to the store an buy more yeast? Should I RDWHAHB?

(x-posted on Google+ Brewer's Consortium community)

Wyeast packs will swell sometimes in shipping. The nutrient pack may not have broken. Refrigerate it until you use it and it will likely be fine. If you make a starter, you can be sure.

With a high OG beer like that, you definitely should be making a large starter. Or you can try US-05 dry yeast.

Good point. The good news is I also ordered a yeast-starter kit at the same time I ordered the beer kit, so I'll just do that.

Back