Efficiency of a 5 gal batch on a 10 gal setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
So I have been fighting with my new setup as I mostly do 5 gallon batches but wanted a system capable of doing 10 gallons for those beers I like to always have one tap but dont want to spend 1 out of every 3 brew days brewing. I have found that do to my bigger system and the deadspace involved (mainly from my RIMS tube and boil kettle) that my brewhouse efficiency is in the 50% range.

Now my mash efficiency has been in the right range for my setup (brutus 20) and has range from 65 to 75 depending on the amount of grain but have been having trouble getting anything above 50% for overall efficiency

I have reduced the deadspace in my mashtun to almost nothing as I hold my RIMs tube up to drain it and have a bottom drain mashtun. That has helped, but I have a Stout Brew kettle and it has 1.5 gallons of space below the spigot. Will tilting the pot and trying to get more help in my efficiency?

Im doing my first 10 gallon batch on friday to see if I get a better efficiency overall and hopefully I do. But have realized that my overall eff for 5 gal batches is gonna take a hit.

Has other people noticed this or come across anything similar

I average 70% eff for 5 gallon batches on my 10 gallon system and 82% on 10 gallon batches. I have very little dead space in my system.

OK so seems to agree with my system and that doing smaller batches on a bigger system reduces efficiency. Good to know, ill have to take good measurements on friday and see what my efficiency is.

Have you built those dead spaces into your equipment profile in beer smith? I have dead space from my rims tube and intentional dead space in my kettle. Both if these are reflected in my equipment profile. The mash tun dead space input on the mash profile page is what i use to compensate for my rims dead space as my mash tun has next to zero. There shouldn't be any need to drain the rims tube if you reflect the loss in your software. Just be sure to precisely measure what all is left in the tube, lines and pump when you are done transferring. I also adjusted my boil volume up one gallon in the recipes I use to make up for kettle dead space. That gives me room for my dip tube to draw from the side and avoid the trub cone from my whirlpool.

Yeah I have the proper stuff inputted into beersmith for deadspace. But Im trying to reduce the deadspace as that is extra liquid I have to bring up to the required gravity which lowers my overall efficiency no matter what

Back