Anyone know where to buy hop oil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only thing I have ever seen is the IsoHop from Morebeer, but that is only for bitterness.

Doesn't seem like anyone knows where to get this stuff. I think it looks very interesting. Sent an email to hopunion and will be back with hopefully a place to get this.

Think this would be great for experimentation on tweaking recipes.

Hop Union isn't selling small quantities of hop oil at the moment and isn't sure if they will in the near future either.

They will sell in mass quantity but not in home brewer size for now.

When you dry hop does that kill the head retention? The oil doesnt just sit on the top of the keg?

Just found this on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HopMyBeer-Hop-Oil-10ml-easy-to-use-hop-oil-for-a-hoppier-beer-Cascade-chinook-/121558322738, which leads to their website HopMyBeer.com
After some snooping, they appear to be new in business... seems promising. Anyone with any experience dealing with them?

I should add that, after reading about Sierra Nevada's Hop Hunter, I really want to try brewing with Hop oil! Anyone actually tried that?

So if I did the math right i takes roughly 54 drops of hop oil for a 5 gallon batch to equal dry hopping with 1/2 oz of hops?

I finally bit the bullet and bought a bottle of Citra from HopMyBeer.com

Honestly I am really impressed.
It has an intense fresh hop aroma straight out of the bottle. It's definitely different from hop shots (which is a hop extract), and way better than the water-based hop oil from hop tech.

1~2 drops will add an nice fresh hop aroma to most beers, but it does take about 4 drops for the fresh hop note to really come through in DF 90min IPA. I really love the fresh hop aroma, and it's actually way nicer/stronger than SN Hop Hunter. (I actually added it to that beer!)

I am yet to brew a batch with it, but I think I will add it straight into the bottle when I bottle it from the keg with my beer gun. (will probably only do half the batch so I can have a comparison.)

As for head retention, I followed their instruction to add the drop before pouring beer, and it has a beautiful head. When I add it over beer, the oil drop does seem to collapse some foam, but not killing the head completely. I think if I add it into the bottles, even if it separates out, it should mix again well when I pour it (similar to their instruction).

Overall I would recommend checking them out! They do have more stuff on their website.

My LHBS sells hop oil that a local brewery makes and uses for a few of their beers. If you live next to any breweries it might be worth contacting them to see if they would sell it to you directly.

Back