Gonna Pop my Sour Cherry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tally350z

Reaction score
So I have yet to do a sour and have been reading a while and want to finally dive into it. Let me know what you think of this recipe/procedure.

5.5 gallon batch
OG 1.047
IBU's 17.7
SRM 18.1

Mash at 155* for 75m
Grist-
3lbs Vienna Malt
3lbs Pilsner
2lbs flaked corn
1lb aromatic

This is where I want input. I want to either do-
Option 1) 8oz wheat malt, 8oz chocolate malt
Option 2) 1lb Chocolate Wheat
I am leaning towards option 2 but want to know how it will work in a Sour

Then 1oz fuggles - boil 90m

Pitch either straight Wyeast 3763, or can I pitch standard California ale and let finish and than pitch the 3763. What kind of difference does it make when pitching the 3763 late as opposed to only pitching it.

Primary in bucket for 100 days, secondary for 1 year with 1 oz oak chips.

Then just keep going from there. Pitch some more wort on the yeast cake and continue from there.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Personally, I'd go with less dark malt on your first sour. It's not a combo that always works out so well.

Definitely go straight 3763. Roe is slow enough on its own, it'll take forever to get sour enough pitching a neutral yeast first. Whenever you have a sour, I'd recommend adding the dregs while its aging to get more complexity out of it too

What are you trying go achieve for the final beer. You have quite a wide spread for ingredients there.

Well for the first batch i am mostly trying to create a good yeast cake for the second time i brew, cause i have read the second as alot more sour..

Pitch your sour yeast right at primary.
As for the grains not really sure what your going for so I don't know what those calculations include or what your trying to acheuve

I would ditch the corn and pick a wheat or vice versa. I would go with wheat. Then I would get some crystal malt in there to for the bugs to work on could wven drop the aromatic .5lb Maybe a touch of chocolate if you want it in there on your first option.
Maybe split the base grain with Munich Vienna and pils equal of each.

Echoing other's posts: Think about what you want the final beer to taste like. If you're making it dark just to do it, maybe reconsider. It's hard enough to make a good sour that you might want to make it easier on yourself and go for something a little more traditional. If you're 110% sure you want to make a dark sour, I'd go for midnight wheat, de-bittered black, or carafa special II or III, all dark malts that add more color than flavor and less bitterness than other dark malts. You might want to use less hops, too. Most people shoot for 10-12 IBU, as that's generally considered the limit for lacto, although not for pedio.

Hops are fine just keep it under 20 or so for a rule of thumb i have soured around a 40 before

I'll lower the hop additions a little then and change out some of the grains. I'll post up tomorrow with the changes. Thanks

your at 17 IBU that is fine you dont have to mess with the hops

So I went for:
4lbs Pilsner
4lbs Munich
1lb Aromatic
8oz wheat
4oz carafa II

Didn't change the hop additions.

Back