Help with APA2 Tweeking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey4q2pal

Reaction score
I am about to brew a morebeer extract kit APA2 but I want to sub in some simcoe pellets (1oz) that I have. Im not sure how to do this without messing up the beer but I love simcoe and its the only recipe I have on hand right now that I can use them in. Heres what the kit calls for as far as the hops schedule-

8lb ultralight extract
1.5lb crystal 15l
8 oz honey malt

1 oz Magnum 60 min
2 oz Cascade last 5 min
2 oz Willamette last 1 minute

og 1.052-1.056
SRM 11
IBU-55/59
using safale 05 drypack

Im doing a full boil and am not up to speed on the hops alpha content thing so im unsure how or where to sub in that simcoe. Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated. Drink on!

Simcoe is best utilized for flavor/aroma rather than bitter IMO. The earlier you add them the more bitter and less flavor/aroma.

Hops added around the 20 minute mark will contribute some flavor and bitterness with little aroma. Hops added at the 5 minute or later mark will add some flavor and more aroma with little added bitterness.

That having been said, I would tend to leave everything in the boil the same and dry hop with them. I don't use a secondary, so after 3 weeks in primary just dump the oz in for the last 7 days prior to bottle/kegging. This will give you a heavy Simcoe nose and some flavor without jacking up the base flavor of the recipe or adding IBU's.

Back