Poor mans all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done several batches using BIAB & several batches using a traditional mash tun. I really don't think BIAB is any easier, in fact I have gone back to my traditional mash tun because for me is it less messy.

I have done several batches using BIAB & several batches using a traditional mash tun. I really don't think BIAB is any easier, in fact I have gone back to my traditional mash tun because for me is it less messy.

Cleaning the bag isn't fun, that's for sure. But even though I just spray my mash tun down, I do have to scoop the grain out into a bucket for the chicken farmers. The bag I just invert into the bucket...but then the bits of grain stuck in the fabric...have to get most out before laundering it or setting it to dry...

I'd say it's a toss-up

Cleaning the bag isn't fun, that's for sure. But even though I just spray my mash tun down, I do have to scoop the grain out into a bucket for the chicken farmers. The bag I just invert into the bucket...but then the bits of grain stuck in the fabric...have to get most out before laundering it or setting it to dry...

I'd say it's a toss-up
Yes, I wouldn't want to scoop out the tun. I just turn it upside down in the horse pasture! The horse can tell when I am brewing...he won't leave the gate alone.

Yes, I wouldn't want to scoop out the tun. I just turn it upside down in the horse pasture! The horse can tell when I am brewing...he won't leave the gate alone.

I'm told the chickens "go nuts" for the grain. It also makes them "poop out eggs like crazy", according to sources. I garnered 24 eggs from the last trade.

Back