herbs when bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stirlingtrent

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'll be bottling a saison later today, and was considering adding a bit of rosemary to a few bottles. I was thinking of soaking some leaves in vodka, then removing and adding just one rosemary leaf to each bottle.

Anyone see any potential problems with this? Do you think the oils from one leaf would destroy head retention?

Only going to do a few, and will the bottle most of it without, so not TOO worried about it not working out, just want to know if anyone has done similar. Thanks!

:mug:

Define one leaf? They are like small pine needles, will that do much anyway?
I've seen people use basil, which would make more sense, but I don't think one rosemary "leaf" will make any difference.

twistr25 said:
Define one leaf? They are like small pine needles, will that do much anyway?
I've seen people use basil, which would make more sense, but I don't think one rosemary "leaf" will make any difference.

Hmmm, I don't know. The rosemary I've grown has been really potent (don't know the exact variety). I've barely brushed my hand against it and been left with a very fragrant hand the rest of the day. Given that a lot of those flavor and aroma compounds are very soluble in alcohol, I think it might be surprising just how much aroma/flavor could be extracted. I think the OP was the right idea...maybe go with one needle in one bottle, two in another, then four, and so on up to the number you want to experiment with. If you do it, be sure to report back with the results.

I had a rosemary IPA at Lowell Beer Works a couple of months ago and it was great! I don't know for sure if your plan would affect the head, but similar steeping I've done (mostly with citrus zest, presoaked in vodka) has not killed the head. The one issue is that you'll lose a lot of the rosemary flavor to the vodka, so perhaps you could add the vodka to the last half of the batch? As far as the leaf counting goes, I'd recommend four with one leaf, four with two leaves, etc.

Thanks for the input! I'll definitely try a few different amounts and report back when it's time.

Please report back with your findings unfourtunately I have no input on this discussion but love the idea/concept very intriguing.

Fresh rosemary may very well make a difference. I made a pork tenderloin the other night, and roasted red potatoes with rosemary and it had enough flavor, but I wouldn't have thought 1 sprig to be enough to impart a noticeable flavor. Good luck, interested to hear about it.

Back