Aging a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Yeti clone imperial Russian stout soon to be ready by the fall. I've never brewed a stout but I've always heard they need to age several months. What's the best way of aging? In bottles or in a keg? Or some other container like a glass carboy? Also is it best to age at a cold temp... In the 50's or so.? Thanks.

My personal preference would be a glass carboy. I'd rather have a carboy tied up than a keg. The kegs will be better served for putting your 'young' beers in. I'm sure some people out there even use better bottles for bulk aging.

As for temp, I'd say anything below 65ºF for an ale yeast would be fine. The lower you drop it the quicker it should clear. Just make sure it's completely finished fermenting before dropping it too low.

Like a lot of things in brewing it all comes down to your equipment and ur OWEN opinion. With that said, I always age in kegs, purge with a little co2 so there's no oxygen messing with it. Clean well an sanitize goes with out saying. I have aged a stout for months an once I hooked up the keg lines with first poor had a little sediment but after that it was great, no problems at all! Also this left me with an open fermenter an more room to operate! Cheers

I agree with you that kegs would be the better choice. Unfortunately, down here, I can buy (2) 5 gallon glass carboys for what a corny costs. (sigh) I'm still holding out for that craig's list posting that is selling corny's for $40 each ;)

I agree with you that kegs would be the better choice. Unfortunately, down here, I can buy (2) 5 gallon glass carboys for what a corny costs. (sigh) I'm still holding out for that craig's list posting that is selling corny's for $40 each ;)

I hear you, I got lucky on Craigslist an got 4 for 25 bucks each an i only have a two tap fridge so two extra for aging. Eventually I wanna drill a whole in the tap stand an put another spout cuz three ball lock kegs fit in my fridge.. But that's just another project! In due time! Two taps are enough for now...

Latest posts

Back