My new 50a brewery.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossi46

Reaction score
Been working on this thing for the past couple of months. I sold my propane rims to finance this one, so the pipeline is dwindling. Should be operational by the weekend.
Still need to plumb the water filter and get my control panel back from my buddy who is an electrician at our local nuclear power plant.
Then wet test and work out any bugs.
I want to thank Bobby at brewhardware, Ryan
at ebrewsupply, and Zach at stainlessbrewing.

image-561696187.jpg

image-4219635423.jpg

image-821292090.jpg

image-2318734322.jpg

image-1325302264.jpg

You may have already checked this out and found it not an issue, but the kettle on the left concerned me. You go from the output to the chiller and then to the suction side of the pump. Everything I know about these types of pump (limited, I'll admit) is that they don't have a whole lot of suction ability, and by not a lot I mean very very little. They're all discharge pressure. So putting the CFC on the intake side of the pump could cause some issues. Plumbing the tank straight to the pump, and then going from the pump discharge to the CFC and then back to the kettle, would eliminate any type of problem. Or... you've already tested it and there are no problems and I'm wrong.

Everything else looks awesome though!

Ok, thanks I'll check that out. Not really sure why I did it like that.

You may have already checked this out and found it not an issue, but the kettle on the left concerned me. You go from the output to the chiller and then to the suction side of the pump. Everything I know about these types of pump (limited, I'll admit) is that they don't have a whole lot of suction ability, and by not a lot I mean very very little. They're all discharge pressure. So putting the CFC on the intake side of the pump could cause some issues. Plumbing the tank straight to the pump, and then going from the pump discharge to the CFC and then back to the kettle, would eliminate any type of problem. Or... you've already tested it and there are no problems and I'm wrong.

Everything else looks awesome though!

Nice catch. Correct, you want maximum flow possible to the input of a centrifugal pump.

Ok, re-routed.

Thanks

I can see why you did it, looks much cleaner on the input. But as they said you do want to avoid a setup like that as much as possible. Given you have a decent suction head it may have worked but could of been a source of intermittent greif when the wort is pretty much boiling.

Ok, got my panel back from buddy. Looks good.

Ran some oxy-clean through it. Found a couple issues. The biggest is one of my RTD cables is bad.

image-3469724807.jpg

image-2096464008.jpg

image-464826440.jpg

I think BadNewsBrewery may have just saved you a pump head! Nice job there man good catch!

Great looking set up! I really like the all electric stuff everyone is doing. Looks like you have some labeling to do...

Cheers
Jay

Back