Wyeast 3711 - stuck fermentation and bottle bombs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggles

Reaction score
So I have a bit of a problem. I was a couple degrees shy of the ideal fermentation temperature for the saison I brewed, and after 14 days, the gravity was totally stable at 1.017, which is 5 points higher than anticipated.
At this point, since the beer didn't need any finishing, I bottled it up, and a week later, my bottles are exploding like mad.

When I say exploding, I mean glass in the drywall!

So now I have a problem. I'm guessing that the yeast went dormant, and with the lower heat capacity of the bottles, the warm spell we just had started it up again, and now it has way too much sugar to get through. I've burped all the bottles, one has exploded since, but I'm worried that it will carry on exploding. I sampled some beer that was left after an explosion and it still tastes good.

Do I:
A: Do nothing, let the strong survive, keep the mess contained and chalk it up as a learning experience.

B: Keep burping the bottles to make sure they don't blow.

C: Dump it all back in a sanitised carboy and let it finish up and re-prime when properly done.

D: Throw it all out and don't risk the broken glass.
?

Any help is awesome.

Ouch. That really stinks. I have never heard of 3711 sticking. It took mine down to 1.001 and have heard of it going lower. How cold did it get? I would be very careful burping them as you don't want any to burst while handling them. You could chill all of them and keep them cold to put the yeast back to sleep and see if that will help. If you dump all of them back into a fermentor you risk oxidation and ruining what you have left. I would be very careful whatever you decide to do as you don't want to be holding one if it goes off.

Put on your kevlar and full face mask and empty the lot down the drain.
Be cautious about throwing out the full bottles as some unsuspecting individual might be injured should they be in the vicinity when the next one goes off.

the 1L swingtop bottles seem to be able to take the pressure, the rest (a mix of 330mL and 650mL bottles) seem stable now. The belgian (Duvel/Draak) style bottles are all intact, thicker glass I guess.
I don't really want to throw it all out. I'll try crashing it and see what it tastes like.

I'm currently storing the bottles in a rubbermaid container with the lid on to protect against explosions

the 1L swingtop bottles seem to be able to take the pressure, the rest (a mix of 330mL and 650mL bottles) seem stable now. The belgian (Duvel/Draak) style bottles are all intact, thicker glass I guess.
I don't really want to throw it all out. I'll try crashing it and see what it tastes like.

I'm currently storing the bottles in a rubbermaid container with the lid on to protect against explosions

Open one and see if they are gushers. If they are then they are potential hand grenades and it is probably unwise to take the risk of someone being injured.

Back