The simplest brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldf150

Reaction score
I am trying to devise the simplest system for simple beers. I like kolsch, brown, blondes, occasional bock, and always use minimash kits. Would it be reasonable to just keep these styles in the bucket for 4weeks, then bottle from there, without checking specific gravities or racking to secondaries? Do higher og styles require more time to ensure full fermentation, and are there any guidelines?

Thanks for the input. Based on what I've read on this forum over the last few months, it seems like there's a consensus that secondaries are not necessary, and the specific gravity only tells you when the fermentation is done. I wonder though, at what og does the fermentation time actually become critical?

I'm not 100% because I stick to lighter quick turnaround beers but I'd say anywhere north of .50 when bigger starters or 2 packs of yeast are necessary. Those darker beers tend to need to age longer.

Back