use grain bag as screen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyguner03

Reaction score
hello, with my second all grain batch when my mash is over i was wondering if i could just put a grain bag on the outside of the spigot? as i am thinking about this i can see a lot of grain coming threw the spigot? since i do not have a big enough colander and dont feel like spending more money this week!.. good idea? ok idea? or just plain dumb idea?

If you can find $5.00 , Home Depot has painter's 5 gallon bucket screens in a two pack. I usually put one inside the other when pouring wort into fermenter. It does get all the big stuff.

really?? well i guess i will have to have to look for that.. have you used it for the mash or sparge?

When using a conventional mash tun you want to lauter as you start getting the wort out. Start by opening the spigot until your wort runs out slowly and catch this first bit in a container to return to the mash tun until the grain bed is set and makes a filter. That should get you clear runnings without a filter bag.

Another way to get the filtering is to line your mash tun with a filter bag like a paint strainer or one you have made from "Swiss voile" to fit your mash tun. This will augment your grains filtering.

Back