My wine cubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
Looked around for a way to store the wine I am making. I thought cubes were cool because you can stack them. The ones I found on the web were kind of expensive when you started to add them up. I thought it would be a nice little project to try and make them my self. They are actually very easy to make.
cellar.jpg

The outside boards are 23 1/2 long 1x12's. Home Depot had nice pine boards that are already finished, sanded, and smooth. It took 1 six footer and 1 eight footer to complete each cube. I did the outside of the cubes first and screwed them together. Used a square to get it squared and measured the distance for the first cross member that goes all the way through. I used a router with a 45 degree bit to get the inner boards flush with the corners. I seen some on the web that didn't even do this (looked terrible).
corner.jpg

The second cross is 2 boards connected with dowels measured for a tight fit. The tight fit on the inner boards gives the cube strength.
cross.jpg

I didn't actually have any power tools other than a screw driver when I started. I bought a circular saw, a router off eBay, a new drill, and some stain. Harbor Freight had a dowler to drill the holes straight.

I made 7 of these in my garage and cleared out the space under my stairs for a wine cellar. Each holds 40 bottles. Now I have a 300 bottle wine cellar and some power tools for any new projects I want to do. They might not be perfect, but it was a fun little project for a few weekends and saved some big $$$. Best of all I have a place for the wine from my other projects. Its dark and in the basement so the temps are cool the entire year round.

Back