First year hops not getting enough sunlight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MathiasMicrobrew

Reaction score
I planted 2 Willamette rhizomes mid April at the base of my clothes line so I cld train the bines horizontally. The leaves weren't on any trees yet, so the mound was in the sun all day.

Now that there are leaves on the tree near my mound, its only getting about 3-4 hours of sunlight a day. :/ they did sprout 1 bine and its about 5 in tall. Shld I dig the rhizomes up and replant at the other end of the clothes line? Or just wait to do that next spring? It will get all day sunlight if I move them.

Once they get to the top of the post and I train them horizontally, they will be out of the shade all day. They gotta be about 7 ft long before that happens tho.

This was taken 4 days or so ago

ForumRunner_20130521_155432.jpg

MathiasMicrobrew said:
This was taken 4 days or so ago

I'm new to growing hops but I think more sun is better. I've got a cascade and a chinook, both first years. They've been planted 3 weeks now and the cascade is about 12" long however the chinook is still a 3-4" out out of the ground.

Yea I may dig them up and transplant since its fairly early in the season still.. I hate robbing them from the light they need! Congrats on ur hops too!

Scratch the transplant this season. I don't wanna kill them with transplanting shock so I'm gonna wait till next spring to move.

Back